DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My first post here, though I have used the site for some reference to get back into this stuff a bit.

I work in the music biz and have a good bit of experience with studio and audiophile sound. The last time I was in to car audio was in the early 00s and I had Focal Polyglass setup with a memphis and some real old school early 90s amps from my highschool years pushing it.

I recently inherited a very boring 2002 Honda Accord LX with really low miles and I am building a system for it. I started picking up some gear on craigslist before I learned about many of the changes that have taken place in the industry ie sizes and efficiencies of amps and the much larger handling of modern subs.

Here's what I have so far a Pioneer DEH X9600BHS HU or Alpine CDA 9855. Like the ease of use features on the Pioneer but understand that the 9855 has great SQ?

AMPS: An Eclipse 5532 5 Channel (40X4 + 120 at 4ohm), Denon DCA 6600BL (120 x2 @ 4ohm or 1X400 @4 ohm - 600 @ 2 ohm 1ohm stable). Arc 805xi, Focal p25 10" 200wrms 4 ohm SVC. Focal poly glass 6.5 mid drivers only.

My original thought was to use the Eclipse with the focal drivers and Scanspeak tweeters and what ever 6.5 for back fill along with the Focal p25. I am a little concerned only giving the sub 120 and that the frequency response is only 42hz. Also will the 40w be enough up front? I could bridge and run the rear fill off the HU. Or I could use the arc but I am a little weirded out by class d for mids and highs and the s/n on the ar is 85db while the Eclipse is 102db.

I found a JL w3v3-2 for a great price locally and thinking about snagging that.

Should I keep the denon beast? Run it on the mids up front and get a class d for the sub?

Anything not used will go into my beater 1986 k5 Blazer that I'd like to put a good 12 or real hefty 10 in.

Hope someone here can provide some insight.

SEF

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
i would probably keep the arc amp,and the focal sub....and move everything else to the beater, and forget about the rear speakers for now.

Pick up a nice pair of 2 way comps...i think there a few sets in the classifieds now that are decent. I can check if you want.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. I think I am going to keep the focal drivers and use the scanspeak tweeters from madisound. Scanspeaks arent well known outside of pro audio but they are in uber high dollar studio gear.

Do you think the Class D sounds as good as the AB gear? Keeping the arc would be the easiest. Also if I use the Arc in the Honda, I could grab that 2ohm wv3 that would give me 400 to my sub with the Arc.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Thanks man. I think I am going to keep the focal drivers and use the scanspeak tweeters from madisound. Scanspeaks arent well known outside of pro audio but they are in uber high dollar studio gear.

Do you think the Class D sounds as good as the AB gear? Keeping the arc would be the easiest. Also if I use the Arc in the Honda, I could grab that 2ohm wv3 that would give me 400 to my sub with the Arc.

Scans are not a secret :)

I would take the focal sub over the JL sub.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok! That's great to know on the sub. Thanks for the help.

Did I do ok with the Pioneer 9600? I was after a PRS80 but couldnt swing the extra $$$.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
the pioneer will do you fine, I'd put the focal in the Honda and the w3 in the k5 blazer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts