DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, new to forum. Been lurking a little and finally decided to post.

Ive been out of the game for years and have decided get a little kick back in my truck. Its a 2015 GMC Sierra Crew Cab with Bose. Im just wanting to add 1- 10" sub and an amp in a downfire box.

I can get 6" of mouning clearance with a 10", so i "think" ive decided to go with an Alpine SWS-10D4 ($150) my other wish was a JL 10W3v3 for quite a bit more money. I was going to do the Alpine MRV-M500 ($200), Then i stubled across the JBL GTO-501EZ for $100 recertified. IT BLOWS my mind that you can get 500w amps for this cheap now in these brands. Not sure if these are a good purchase based on price or not, i like inexpensive but not cheap. Will i be happy with this sub and JBL amp or should i look elsewhere in the same price range???

My last install used PPI PC2600 subs and PC4400 mids then swapped the 600 for a Planet Audio 1000w (1125 birthsheet). Had 2 JL 12W3's then 2- L3 Solos. Im not looking for huge bass but i do want nice clean powerful kick to my music.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Welcome to DIYMA, JBrock. I'm just west of you, over in the OKC area... congrats on the new truck. You're going to love it!

I have a 2014 Chevy Crew Cab Z71 LTZ. I went with two Pioneer 12" shallow subs and two JBL MS-A5001 amps for my sub stage... so far it's been great. I just have to get off my lazy butt and finish it. :rolleyes:

You can check out my build log here: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/162172-2014-silverado-crew-cab-z71-ltz.html

I got the inspiration from the truck that the guys at Musicar Northwest did... it's sweet. Their build log is here: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/159994-2014-chevy-silverado-musicar-northwest.html

Anyway... I really like the JBL MS series amps. If the GTO is anything like the MS series, then you should be happy with it. It gets great reviews, and off the top of my head, I can't think of another amp for $100 that would be better, really.

One word of caution: I've read that the Bose system on these trucks has an active noise cancellation system, so adding a sub might cause that to activate and cause some problems. I've read that disconnecting one (or more) of the microphones will help, but there may be better options out there. You might want to do a search about that before you drop some cash.

Good luck with your build. :thumbsup:

Mark

·
Registered
355 Posts
You might want to look in GMC forums and see what others have done to disable the noise cancellation system. I don't suggest unplugging microphones, as this option can often have residual problems (because the microphones can have double duties for onstar, navigation, etc.).

If you have a Bose system, I would personally replace all the speakers and run new wiring to each speaker, leaving the factory wiring untouched.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is only active noise cancelation on the 6.2l engine, but thanks for the potiental headache issue. Many have had sucess tapping into the sub signal at the bose amp adn doing a line level input or converter behind the seat to power just a amp and additonal sub.
Any comments on the Alpine SWS-10D4, is there better/similar options in same price/mouting range. I havent heard a sub i could name in over 10 years.

·
Registered
304 Posts
There is only active noise cancelation on the 6.2l engine, but thanks for the potiental headache issue.
Good to know... I have the 5.3 and non-Bose because I knew I'd be modifying my truck. I had read about it and figured I'd mention it, just in case. Glad to hear that you won't be bothered with that.

Many have had sucess tapping into the sub signal at the bose amp adn doing a line level input or converter behind the seat to power just a amp and additonal sub.
Yup. That link I provided above shows the amp location and the wiring. Musicar Northwest did great work on that Crew Cab.

Any comments on the Alpine SWS-10D4, is there better/similar options in same price/mouting range. I havent heard a sub i could name in over 10 years.
Sorry... can't help you there. :(

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thanks, man... it was my first time bending wood like that. Looking back, I'd probably give it a little more height on the sides, because I didn't account for the weight of the sub box compressing the carpet and padding on the floor of the truck. I can sometimes hear the subs hitting the carpet when I've got it cranked up.

What was it you were planning to do? A single sub on one side and the amp on the other, or did you want storage space under the seat too?

There's some boxes out there on the web if you wanted one pronto... 2014 GM Crew Cab Single Downfire Box

Just depends on what you want to do, really. :shrug:

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Single 10", amp behind seat leaving floor open. The subthump box was my first choice even though its .9 and alpine specs .5-.85.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok since you have the shallow pioneer subs, do you think 1 shallow 12 would be better than a "regular" sized 10?
Do you think haveing the 2 shallow 12's is key for making up for the shallow design and lack of airspace compaired to a conventional sub?

I'm having trouble settling on a sub/box, if ya can't tell. Any additional input on size/quantity/brand please share.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Nicely done. I had the same pair or Pioneer 12"s, performed excellent. I had no problems playing down to 20HZ.

Then I decided to try out a single 15" but the enclosure is just huge so going back to shallows. Not sure about the new model Pioneers so I decided on two Sundown SD3 12"s. If money were no object I would have also considered StereoIntegrity BMKV's.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Ok since you have the shallow pioneer subs, do you think 1 shallow 12 would be better than a "regular" sized 10?
Do you think haveing the 2 shallow 12's is key for making up for the shallow design and lack of airspace compaired to a conventional sub.
I would go for two of either size vs a single ...more output. My opinion of course. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and now ive discovered sundown SD3-12. For the Love of God, why are there so many choices.
1. 1-Conventional 10" Alpine SWS-10D4
2. 2-Shallow Cheaper 10's Pioneer
3. 1- Shallow Expensive 12" Sundown SD3-12 **************** have to wait???? form what ive read there close but not outyet?

·
Registered
901 Posts
and now ive discovered sundown SD3-12. For the Love of God, why are there so many choices.
1. 1-Conventional 10" Alpine SWS-10D4
2. 2-Shallow Cheaper 10's Pioneer
3. 1- Shallow Expensive 12" Sundown SD3-12 **************** have to wait???? form what ive read there close but not outyet?
What is your budget?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts