DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought another PPI Art amp. This one's a A300. I scrapped the idea of using ribbons. I don't want to give up my footspace. There already isn't much as it is anyways.

I'm going to use the PPI A100.2 I have on LPG 25NFA tweets in the A pillars. For the mids I'm not sure yet which. I think i'm going to be using a dome midrange in the factory tweeter spot or in the A pillars fiberglassed maybe. I'm considering the Dynaudio MD140/2 3" Dome Midrange

If I can't find those for a decent price I'll go with the DLS UR2.5 Dome midrange.

http://www.dls.se/english/speakers/UR2,5.htm

Any other suggestions on a dome midrange that will work better than either of these choices are welcome. Preferably no more than 4" outer diameter.

The PPI A300 will be used for the midrange speakers.

For the midbass I'm going to take advantage of the 6x9" opening and use an 8" Midbass. Most likely the Peerless XLS 8" http://www.madisound.com/pdf/peerless/830491.pdf

These will be powered off an A600 or A600.2 PPI art amp.

For the sub I'll be using a 15" IDQ in a sealed MDF enclosure. Until the IDMAX15 comes out, then switching to that:eek:

I'll be using another A600/A600.2 for the sub as well.

For a headunit, I think I'm going to step up with the Pioneer P9 Combo along with the carputer to 10.4" Xenarc screen.

So I have like 1/8 of all the equpment I need :kookoo: :lol: I've got two of the amps I need, and the tweets/midbass' will be ordered tuesday :D

·
Registered
265 Posts
For a headunit, I think I'm going to step up with the Pioneer P9 Combo along with the carputer to 10.4" Xenarc screen.

Now that's sweet :)

I've always dreamed of putting a carputer in, but the hessel and time to fabricate a screen into the dash discourges me.

Goodluck!
David

·
Registered
531 Posts
you won't have to cut much....if any at all....mounting diameter is around.....7.5" i think....

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright plans have changed AGAIN :lol:

I just bought this amp Helix HXA500Q

I'm going to do a 2 way front system active, using a the Seas CA18RNX and LPG25NFA combo.

The 5th channel will power a single IDQ15

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
How much did you pay for the Helix? Sweet fawking amp right there mane!

I know that the ID subs are very efficient, and 200 watts should push the IDQ 15 nicely, but the IDMAX 15 is going to need about 4 times that when you get it in there. Or have you changed your mind on that too?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks

Yeah, I'm going to go with the IDQ15 instead.

So what do you know about this amp? Ever see benchtested numbers? What kind of crossovers does it have (if any)

Whatever info you got on it is appreciated. Do you think it will work well for the Seas/LPG combo? I think I'll be very happy with the IDQ15. Hopefully I'll love the Seas/LPG's I don't want to be swtiching out stereo stuff once I'm done for a long time.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Had one before... be very careful of bridged or low impedance loads. The heatsinks are too small amp will overheat... quite annoying on long drives.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Helix (sister company of Brax) happens to be one of the top 5 amps in the world. German made and very efficient (often times underrated). This amp is very very clean. So even though you will only be giving your drivers 65 watts at 4 ohms, its very clean and efficient power, so the clarity and quality will certainly be there. The HXA500Q series incorporates an onboard equalizer.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
npdang said:
Had one before... be very careful of bridged or low impedance loads. The heatsinks are too small amp will overheat... quite annoying on long drives.
Well the 4 front channels will be driving 8 ohm speakers, so that'll be ok, However the sub channel will be ran at 2 ohms. It should be ok then right?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AzGrower said:
Helix (sister company of Brax) happens to be one of the top 5 amps in the world. German made and very efficient (often times underrated). This amp is very very clean. So even though you will only be giving your drivers 65 watts at 4 ohms, its very clean and efficient power, so the clarity and quality will certainly be there. The HXA500Q series incorporates an onboard equalizer.
Nice, do you know if the crossovers have a bandpass feature? I'll probably be running this system active off the stock headunit with LOC for a while til I can afford a nicer headunit/proccessor.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
cam2Xrunner said:
npdang said:
Well the 4 front channels will be driving 8 ohm speakers, so that'll be ok, However the sub channel will be ran at 2 ohms. It should be ok then right?
Yes, the amp is rated to be safely ran at a 2 ohm load on the 5th, monoblock channel. You shouldnt have any concerns or problems with that. What price did you get that amp for?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
cam2Xrunner said:
Nice, do you know if the crossovers have a bandpass feature? I'll probably be running this system active off the stock headunit with LOC for a while til I can afford a nicer headunit/proccessor.
I suspect so. What LOC unit are you gonna run? I have used the Navone Engineering unit for my wife's ride and it works great. Very high quality units and very affordable prices. David Navone and Richard Clark designed them. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend them, check them at www.davidnavone.com

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
How good are you at reading German? The Audio-Tec Fischer website is all in German. YOu can get more information there.

If you want to get in touch with the US distributor, let me know. I happen to know him rather well.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, yes I have used Davids LOC's in the past, and would also highly recomend them.

The NE-774V should be the best one to go with correct?

I've used that unit on my friends '05 Tacoma with good luck. Had the front channels going to a DLS A3 and the rear channels going to the A6. Iridium 6.2's in the front and IDMAX 12 off the A6. Worked very well, and sounding absolutely great off the stock headunit. I could only imagine what it would've been like active and using a good headunit.

I'm buying the amp for 425 shipped NIB. Sound like a fair price? I didn't buy it from Peter Lufrano, but he has some on eBay right now.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AzGrower said:
How good are you at reading German? The Audio-Tec Fischer website is all in German. YOu can get more information there.

If you want to get in touch with the US distributor, let me know. I happen to know him rather well.
I can probably translate it with babelfish.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
cam2Xrunner said:
Thanks, yes I have used Davids LOC's in the past, and would also highly recomend them.

The NE-774V should be the best one to go with correct?

I've used that unit on my friends '05 Tacoma with good luck. Had the front channels going to a DLS A3 and the rear channels going to the A6. Iridium 6.2's in the front and IDMAX 12 off the A6. Worked very well, and sounding absolutely great off the stock headunit. I could only imagine what it would've been like active and using a good headunit.

I'm buying the amp for 425 shipped NIB. Sound like a fair price? I didn't buy it from Peter Lufrano, but he has some on eBay right now.
Yup the 774v is a nice unit, but thats the 4 channel unit. My wife is using the 2 channel unit.

425 is that in Euro or USD? Chit let me know if this guy has more at that price I will buy a few at that price. That amp retails for well over 8 bills, if not more.

I wouldnt even change out the stock head unit if you are runny a Navone LOC, often times you get better performance with the LOC due to its higher input voltages, up to 9v whereas most aftermarket units only produce 2 or 4volts of input. PLUS you can keep all your nifty features that are tied into todays head units, like XM radio, airbag control, navigation capabilities, etc...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.