DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
My heavily modded 04 Toyota Matrix XR got called "cute" by a co-worker last year. I must have made a face because she quickly corrected her statement to make it sound more manly.

317whp is far from "cute" but I prefer driving my stock G8.

·
Registered
12,042 Posts
you cuold have a 500 HP VW bettle. it might outrun a corvette, but its still a girly beetle ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
It would be pop the clutch on launch and immediately pop it again to grab second. The problem here is lifting off the throttle between shifts you lose boost in a manual. Off the line you can't build boost without some sort of launch control which will make the turbo hate you. You don't deal with the suspension unloading on the shifts. I come off the line with the left tire in the air, right tire barely on the ground, no steering control, and having to get off and back on the power would probably mean blowing the tires away. For the fun factor, I agree with using a manual. For a large turbo car that needs to go fast in a straight line the auto with a high stall provides power the instant you put your foot into it.
Lift???Why lift, unless you shake the slicks...that is what the clutch is for.

At low boost(18lbs) I was making 490WHP on Pump in a car (Civic) that tipped the scales at 2340 +/- lbs with me in it....never had a chance to dyno at 24lbs, but it would scoot. Launch control and a two step helped in a big way...anti-lag, was nice too...just had to be careful engaging it at a light. Might melt a little paint of the bumper of the car directly behind. Nice thing...I had just a tad over 10k in the car....including the car. Legit mid 10's on 225/50R15 drag radials, with the help of a Quaife LSD. On slicks it was only a couple psi from the 9's...

Way to many times it was pointed out by the clueless that it was a chick car... At times, I was a little confused myself when I would take off with a couple of buddies for lunch (guys), and suddenly the cabin erupted in what sounded like tweener screams at a boy band concert **never been to one, but i can imagine**

And as far as the TL being a girls car...I am right there with ya...My DWP 08 Type S could be mistaken as one...but I could give a flyin fudgecicle...it is a blast to drive and is oooooh sooooo comfortable...

·
Registered
12,042 Posts
correctl me if I am wrong, but some race trannys dont require clutching on the upshifts, only the downshifts. so, lifts on acceleration would not be required.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Technically speaking...the clutch is not required on any tranny during upshift.....if you are really good. When I rode bikes..the clutch was for take off and down shift, or for a quick reduction in applied power. No clutch upshifts can be a bit hard on syncros...if it is dog engagement, then you are giving up quite a bit of time during the shift by using the clutch...

·
Registered
12,042 Posts
ya, I agree, I used to about 1/2 clutch my integra on the upshifts and destroyed the 3rd gear syncro.

I have watched GT racing and they use sequential shifters and even under full throttle they dont lift for upshifts. do they have heavy duty syncros?

·
Registered
12,042 Posts
Ok, I saw a thing on how F1 tranny work. They mentioned engaging dogs. Pretty slick

Sent from my phone using digital farts

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
It's a common "hand me down" car.
I had one in the 90's and gave it to my(then) wife. ('till she played chicken with a city bus and lost).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you guys consider the Scion tC a girl's car?

Here's why I ask:

My ex's sister's boyfriend had a black Scion tC. My ex told me that it's a girl's car. Being that her sister's boyfriend wasn't there to hear that nor defend himself, I had to be the one to do it. My ex and I got into a pretty heated argument over this. I just felt I needed to defend the guy for some reason. I personally don't think it is a girl's car at all.

And no, I'm not a Scion fanboy either. I don't even own a Scion.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sorry. I equate "man's car" to "fun and rewarding to drive", which does not necessarily mean in a straight line. I enjoy a 100HP Miata more than a GTO. A balanced car is more fun than a "fast" car to me. HP alone does not create fun.

I don't think you are out of line for liking fast high-HP cars, I'm just saying your tastes and my tastes differ. That doesn't make me any less of a man, contrary to what the troll of an OP would suggest ;)
I agree. My "old car" is on the list. :blush: I had an RX-8. Not extremely fast with a 0-60 at 6.4 but I could kill any Ford or Dodge sports car if it had a couple turns. When I say sports cars, I mean the real ones, not the ones that look the same but have smaller engines. I could beat the SE and SXT, especially if they were automatics..... And yes, I could do RH turns at 30 and LH turns at 50 without the traction control giving me fits... It turns out though that the RX-8 is not so much a girls car but a kids car. Most everyone driving them is 16-28....

It sure was a fun car to drive on short trips...

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Ok, I saw a thing on how F1 tranny work. They mentioned engaging dogs. Pretty slick

Sent from my phone using digital farts
Personally I think the automatics are vastly superior in some regards with their planetary gearsets. You have planetary gearsets and a clutch pack or band for each gear. Gears are not "shifted", they're always in mesh with one another. You can have a clutch pack dedicated to the sun gear and another clutch dedicated to the ring gear in order to change ratios. To change gears, one clutch pack is released, another applied. No physical shifting of the gears ever happens. A planetary gearset is much stronger by design than a traditional gearset in a manual. Some racing transmissions use this type of gearset. I would love to see this style used without the torque converter with a regular dry clutch coupling. You would only have to use the main clutch for starting and stopping, the clutchpacks on each gear could be shifting at full power. It would be like an automatic but without the torque converter and you would have to shift yourself.

The one issue, one that could be made adjustable is shift timing, an issue some automatics run into and a big cause of automatic transmission failure. If one set of clutches releases before the others apply, you get a flare. If one set of clutches apply before the others release you get a bind. Shift timing is very important in an auto for long life but I can't see any reason it couldn't be user adjustable in a manual application using planetary gearsets. I think I'm rambling now.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts