DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Thanks! I get it from a local company called Ganahl Lumber. The 4x8 3/4" was about $53, and the 5x5 1/2" was about $32, iirc.
I know i say this every time, but true Baltic birch from russia does not come in 4x8 sheets. If it is 4x8 it comes from China and is a bit of a knock off. I'm not saying its bad wood, its far better than american plywood, but i have a pet peeve about people calling it Baltic Birch.

Reactions: Niebur3

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I know i say this every time, but true Baltic birch from russia does not come in 4x8 sheets. If it is 4x8 it comes from China and is a bit of a knock off. I'm not saying its bad wood, its far better than american plywood, but i have a pet peeve about people calling it Baltic Birch.
Curious to know more about your opinion about plywood being better from China vs America, I honestly don’t know why that would be?

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
A couple local lumber yards and online resources have shown this to be not true. Maybe it didn't use to, but it sure does now.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Curious to know more about your opinion about plywood being better from China vs America, I honestly don’t know why that would be?
I think i was not clear in my workding, i was trying to say the 4x8 baltic birch from China with the 19 layers is still better for speaker building than the 5-7 ply stuff that is made here. Obviouslly the 5-7 ply sucks for building speakers, it may be fine for its intended purposes in the building trades.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
A couple local lumber yards and online resources have shown this to be not true. Maybe it didn't use to, but it sure does now.

I think they are still taking liberty with the name Baltic Birch. True baltic birch the kind that is made in Russia or Finland is made with more care to fill the voids and with better hardwoods than what comes in 4x8 sheets. Its not bad plywood, as long as the glue is up to par. I have a problem with chinese plywood because the glue sucks and is murder on my table saw blades. Just the dust that comes back and hits me hurts my arms, so i am not sure what is in it.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I think they are still taking liberty with the name Baltic Birch. True baltic birch the kind that is made in Russia or Finland is made with more care to fill the voids and with better hardwoods than what comes in 4x8 sheets. Its not bad plywood, as long as the glue is up to par. I have a problem with chinese plywood because the glue sucks and is murder on my table saw blades. Just the dust that comes back and hits me hurts my arms, so i am not sure what is in it.
I think it's also possible that they may have added sizes. I highly doubt 2 local lumber yards are lying about this stuff... Plus, it isn't cheap.
I have no issues with the dust and I (stupidly) wear zero protection when working with it.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I think it's also possible that they may have added sizes. I highly doubt 2 local lumber yards are lying about this stuff... Plus, it isn't cheap.
I have no issues with the dust and I (stupidly) wear zero protection when working with it.
Does it say anywhere on it what the country of origin is?

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Does it say anywhere on it what the country of origin is?
No, but I didn't look at the stack of plywood that it was pulled from... There could be a strap or label or something that might indicate that, not sure. I'll look next time I am over there...

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
My receipt clearly states "Baltic" birch though, which does imply it's place of origin.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Whenever I see exposed plywood like this, I think of Ikea. It's probably the reason I don't ever see myself doing a box like that. All the wood areas will be carpeted like the floating panels...

I love how the grill looks like it's coming out of the carpeted panels like they are one piece! I made sure the notches were really tight for that reason.

The silver bolts will either be painted black or carpeted over...

Reactions: Chris12

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Carpet done. I have to say that this is the happiest I have been with any of my carpeting jobs so far. Just need to trim some of the fuzzies, which I use hair clippers for, btw. Lol

Reactions: miniSQ and Chris12

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Nothing exciting... I'm waiting on more pink spray paint, as the first can didn't match the lights... Again, what has my life come to...

I really like how flush the grill is with the panels, not sure if you can really tell in the pics:

I wanted it as easy to disconnect as possible (lights and speaker wire), so the sub is easily removable, even for a girl.

Yes, yes, I realize what that looks like! Lol

81 - 100 of 115 Posts