DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a newbie and I've read so much bad things about 3M's spray glues and I don't have a glue spray gun and air, so I'm in search for a spray can glue to hold the carpet to my mdf front on my fiber glass enclosure.

I've bought some local stuff. I've sprayed, waited the appropriate time and then put the carpet on really good and tight. It's been a week now, and I wanted to see how good it was sticking to my test mdf piece.

I know the box probably won't be exposed to the same force I make when trying to peel it off, but I think it should be harder to take it off than in the video. Or am I expecting too much of a glue?

I'm not quite sure what kind of failure I see. If it's cohesive or adhesive failure. I can live with cohesive.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
It didn't look like you were pulling very hard to get that carpet to separate. If it pulls that easily now, it'll fail on it's own after a few months in the heat. If you don't have the means to carpet it correctly yourself, pay a shop locally to do it for you. Make sure they use DAP Landau top trim adhesive. It's pretty much the only thing that works. Sometimes there is no substitute for the correct tools and materials.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I have decent results with contact cement and a brush. The room you are working in should be 20 degrees C for the cement to set up properly.

You can brush the CC liberally onto the mdf. The only trick is not spreading it too heavily onto the carpet as it can soak through and start to look messy.

I have used it on black carpet and had the cement soak through in a few places. Got out the permanent marker and pretty much covered up what had soaked through.

In Canada we cannot get the Dap High heat trim and top. I was told the Canadian substitute is called Helmiprene 4510, unfortunately I think it only comes in 5 gallon buckets.

·
Registered
19,268 Posts
for carpet on a flat sub box i wouldnt worry. now try using it with stretched vinyl or suede on a pillars lol. mine stayed put while in storage inside during the winter for a few months, then i put them in the car during the spring or summer. lasted about a day in the sun before they started peeling

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The mdf front is flat, however I need to wrap the carpet a couple of inches onto the fiber glassed sides too, and it's those sides that worries me. Those sides and the carpet ends, will come in contact with the car's interior and there will be small movements between them and I'm thinking that's not exactly helping the carped ends staying put.

The scene over here isn't very big and a local shop doesn't really exist. I tried to buy some professional Würth automotive glue, but they wont't sell to private persons.

eBay have a few sellers with DAP Weldwood Contact Cement listet, but because of the stupid expensive global shipping program, the shipping and handling charges are stupid high. And I guess it can't be sent by air either.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I use Camie 393. Spray both parts and let tack then stick them together. It is not as good as DAP but works well.

·
Listener of Music
4,072 Posts
Sub floor adhesive. Any construction supply store will have it. It's difficult to spread on thin but it won't let go after. It's not ideal but it is readily available anywhere and will hold up to any climate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts