DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gluing Fabric To Plastic part of door card.
What did you do, how did you do it, what did you use to do it with?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
3m 82 headliner spray adhesive, perhaps? Actually, probably most of the 3m spray adhesives should work fine. I usually use super 77 to attach carpet to boxes and it works very well for that.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
3m 82 headliner spray adhesive, perhaps? Actually, probably most of the 3m spray adhesives should work fine. I usually use super 77 to attach carpet to boxes and it works very well for that.
X2 on the 3M spray adhesives.

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
Whatever you do don't use the Loctite brand adhesive. I used some to glue some vinyl to my fiberglass pods and now they look like ****. As soon as I get the time I'm gonna redo th with either the 3M super 77 or the 90 (that is good stuff)!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Whatever you do don't use the Loctite brand adhesive. I used some to glue some vinyl to my fiberglass pods and now they look like ****. As soon as I get the time I'm gonna redo th with either the 3M super 77 or the 90 (that is good stuff)!
I tried that too. Its cheaper, but nowhere near as good.

Sent from my HTC Awesome using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
For those suggesting the 3m super 77 I would say spend the extra 3-4 dollars more and get the 3m 90. It is good to 165 degrees the 77 is good to like 110 degrees.

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
DAP weldwood Laudau (google it) - those spray can do **** at holding in the sunlight

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I've heard some real love/hate stories of the 3m stuff.

I guess I will return it. I bought some as a backup if the other glues I had didn't work out so I didn't have to make another run to the store.

DAP weldwood Laudau (google it) - those spray can do **** at holding in the sunlight
I have a can of contact cement, I think it might even be dap brand. This is what I was thinking about using.

This stuff works better than any 3M product that I have seen so far, and it costs a lot less too:

Foam & Fabric Adhesive #581 12 oz.
I had the v&m stuff, was great for ccf when I used to glue it on top of deadener on the doors ( I don't do it anymore). I think this would be my second choice if I could buy it retail.

Thanks for all your input guys. I'll post up my results when I'm done.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
The most important thing with plastic is to wash it before you glue or paint it. They use release agents in plastic molds, if the part is raw (not painted). I like to use naptha suppose alcohol would work too, or soap/water dishsoap can be pretty effective. Whatever you use make sure you remove it, don't leave a solvent on it to dry or it does not remove anything.

I like the 3M products have used them a lot. There is the normal and HD spray (likely 77/90), also the stuff in the tubes is very good the trim stuff. I did an old muscle car a while back had to spray glue an insulation panel to the bare roof with the HD spray, then used a tube of trim stuff to glue the edges of a material liner all the way around the roof by hand. Its been over a year it looks perfect and the product everyone uses. I don't have the exact number of them but they typically have a normal and high strength in both tubes and cans. I did use some cheaper spray from pep boys on my amp rack carpet. It seemed to work ok but its not high stress either. It was scented and stunk really bad for a week or more and think it was the scent not the glue. Was in the trunk but the whole car stunk kind of like new toilet paper.:confused:

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The most important thing with plastic is to wash it before you glue or paint it. They use release agents in plastic molds, if the part is raw (not painted). I like to use naptha suppose alcohol would work too, or soap/water dishsoap can be pretty effective. Whatever you use make sure you remove it, don't leave a solvent on it to dry or it does not remove anything.

I like the 3M products have used them a lot. There is the normal and HD spray (likely 77/90), also the stuff in the tubes is very good the trim stuff. I did an old muscle car a while back had to spray glue an insulation panel to the bare roof with the HD spray, then used a tube of trim stuff to glue the edges of a material liner all the way around the roof by hand. Its been over a year it looks perfect and the product everyone uses. I don't have the exact number of them but they typically have a normal and high strength in both tubes and cans. I did use some cheaper spray from pep boys on my amp rack carpet. It seemed to work ok but its not high stress either. It was scented and stunk really bad for a week or more and think it was the scent not the glue. Was in the trunk but the whole car stunk kind of like new toilet paper.:confused:
Here's a shot of what I'm trying to cover. The speaker is obviously not mounted yet. I will be using the grills that came with the speakers to hide the seams. Will be using some mdf and shutter clips on the bottom. I drew a line in paint where I think it's roughly going to stop.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did some testing last night with the contact cement I have and the two fabrics I'm thinking of using. Real blue velvet and grey micro-suede. I don't think the micro-suede is going to work, the smallest amount of glue and it soaks through to the other side. I know I'm supposed to apply it to both pieces and let it set up, but for the sake of experimenting I tried it with and without glue on the fabrics.The best combo for adherence has been the blue velvet with glue on the back and sanding the plastic before gluing and also cleaning with alcohol afterward. I wish the grey micro-suede worked better as I'd much rather use that color since it matches the interior.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If u use a goof cement on plastic panel thr suede will stick
Yeah I ran out of goof cement. Just kidding. It's not that it didn't stick, it soaked through to the other side, even with one drop.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've used both the 3m 90 and the welwood. I like the 3m better but both held up. Watch over spray and dependent on the fabric over saturation.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was going to return it, then I figured it was only 6 bucks so I tried it.
It seems like this stuff kicks ass. Best strength/ hold of anything I've tried so far. Maybe you got a bad can or something? Did it fail in the heat?

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
I was going to return it, then I figured it was only 6 bucks so I tried it.
It seems like this stuff kicks ass. Best strength/ hold of anything I've tried so far. Maybe you got a bad can or something? Did it fail in the heat?
It held real well at first. After about a month the vinyl started to peel up off my fiberglass pods.

Maybe you'll have better luck with a more porous material.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts