• 17"

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I have a horrible camber being dropped about 2.5" and riding on 20's.... -2.5 degrees in the front and -2.0 in the rear so I decided to save the tires from inner wear and put the stock back on, but paint them before I do until I get a camber kit. Now....I kinda like the the stock wheels painted over the 20's. Just curious about what you folks think looks better.

And for those of you who know about suspension, I heard if your toe is within spec, having a negative camber such as the one I have is not that bad and inner tire wear won't be that bad either, is that true?

Onto the pics. Before:

After pics:

If I keep the 17's, I'll end up getting wider tires and possibly a tad lower on profile. They are currently 225/55/17 and I would probably get 235 or 245 (245's are what's on the 20's) / 40 or 45 (35 is on the 20's).

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I like the 20s personally, which is a rarity for me. The stockers seem to tuck too much in the rear and look funny with that much of a drop. The polished lip on the 20s seems to help the rims stand out more. Maybe it's just the pics, but the painted stockers seem to get lost in the wheel well. Nice ride.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I'd probably prefer the 17s if I could see them :D
Gotta take pics from the sunny side of the car dude.

I agree that the 17s look tucked, but I think that is partially because of the shadow and the black on black wheel/tire combo.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Added a pic (last one in first post) of the sunny side, only one I have, I'll take a better one tomorrow. The 20's actually were more tucked inside the wheel well and it probably helps that they were wider. I had no finger gaps with the 20's and with the 17's I have two in the front and 1 in the rear. What sucks about the 20's is that the entire dish is chrome, and you can't see because it gets dirty and the black reflects off it...here is a picture of the rim itself.

Here's a few rolling shots for kicks....and thanks for the compliments :)

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Go big or go home. I got friggin' 19s on my GTI and if I could find a nice set of 20s I'd be rockin' those. :D

Normally I'm not a "bling" guy but white cars with polished or chrome wheels is friggin' sexy.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Why am I the only one thinking about how much WEIGHT difference there is between the 17's and the 20's? Shouldn't that factor be making your decision for you? Am I the only one who knows of this magical thing called unsprung weight? Shouldn't that be your primary concern in a 'performance' oriented car?

You do know unsprung weight affects EVERY dynamic of the car, right?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I guess that depends on WHAT 20s he goes with. It's not hard to find big wheels that weigh less than smaller ones.
That's my point exactly, when moving up LOOKS should not be the only factor that guides his purchase, as a much more important one is seemingly being overlooked.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Fair enough, but generally speaking, anyone going large enough to run something lower profile than a 45-series tire isn't worried too much about performance as much as looks. ;)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Fair enough, but generally speaking, anyone going large enough to run something lower profile than a 45-series tire isn't worried too much about performance as much as looks. ;)
Seems as such. :p

Well, on that note, I hope the op enjoys his:
slower acceleration
reduced traction
rougher ride
worse suspension rebound
longer braking distance
reduced cornering ability

But I mean looks are more important than any of those right? :D

He IS in LA after all, its like the law there. ;)

·
Registered
492 Posts
I like the 20s personally, which is a rarity for me. The stockers seem to tuck too much in the rear and look funny with that much of a drop. The polished lip on the 20s seems to help the rims stand out more. Maybe it's just the pics, but the painted stockers seem to get lost in the wheel well. Nice ride.
Maybe try spacers with the factory wheels?

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Seems as such. :p

Well, on that note, I hope the op enjoys his:
slower acceleration
reduced traction
rougher ride
worse suspension rebound
longer braking distance
reduced cornering ability

But I mean looks are more important than any of those right? :D

He IS in LA after all, its like the law there. ;)
2,3,5,6 are incorrect. ALL of those are more tire dependent than wheel size dependent.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I like the 20's better, but why not try to see of you can compromise in the middle. Sell the 20's and look for 18's or 19's, whichever appeases the suspension more. You may enjoy the looks of the 20's but you'll be cursing at them and yourself when you have to change tires every 25,000 miles. Plus I am sure you are somewhat concerned with performance if you opted for a g35 over some other cars. If not, then you should of bought a V6 Charger or a Buick.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Just run the stock until you get a camber kit.IMO Will keep you from having to buy tires if you do not get the camber kit on before they start to wear bad.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
But given the same compound and construction, a tire with an extremely small sidewall will most certainly perform at a lower level than one with a reasonable ~100mm sidewall.
What makes you say that? Turn-in and feedback alone will be better in a small sidewall tire.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Quality,

Increasing unsprung weight (IE rims/tires/rotors) negatively affects all aspects of performance in a vehicle, period. Tires play a very large roll you are correct, however, you would have to compare H rated 60 series tires to Z rated 40/45 series tires to prove your point.

If you are willing to spend the $eriou$ dollars on light weight/forged 20" rims and can avoid adding unsprung weight to your car, then you will likely only experience a slightly worse ride quality vs factory due to the reduced sidewall that a larger rim requires (unless you are talking about trucks that have the wheel well clearance to run a decent amount of sidewall)

If you add unsprung weight over the factory components, ALL aspects of performance will suffer. Don't let some tech at Big O tires tell you different. The factory did not engineer their spring rates and shock values to allow for another 8lbs per corner or more of unsprung weight.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yeah I don't usually like the big 20's, but those do look better with your car than the straight black. It's too much black with an all white car; there is not enough black on the outside to compliment it. The chrome helps set it off. x2 about the reduced performance though (one of the main reasons why I don't like 20's)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts