DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Image Dynamics CSX64 6.5-inch 2-way component speakers in my Mazda 3. Currently running passive from a Precision Power PC2100 (2x100W @ 4 ohms) amplifier. I'm thinking about switching to an active 2-way setup (so I can use my DCX730 to control time alignment and EQ seperately for each speaker), having the mids run off the PC2100 and then another Precision Power amp for the tweeters. So should I have another PC2100 for the tweeters or will something like a PC250 (2x50W @ 4 ohms) be good enough?

·
Registered
898 Posts
My tweeters that require 100 RMS ran perfectly at 8 RMS at 12 ohms :D. That is perfect.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Way back I built large systems using a lot of amps like the soundstream D60. That is 2x30 @12v, so similar to 2x50 CEA. It was plenty of power many of them we ran 4-6 tweeters. These were mostly dome tweeters. Mids/subs sure you need more power than that we often ran Linear power 200-300w mid/MB and 500/+ on subs, or comparable amps. I'd say many of the speakers were a little more efficient back then but doubt tweeters are much different today. Back then the SS D60/100/200 were one of the best for mid/highs, very clear, and the place I worked at carried them lol. So I would think a good 2x50 is plenty, but up to you and how efficient the tweeter is.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
2x50 is overkill for tweeters. 2x25 would be fine.

1. Power is highest at lower frequencies. Depending on the crossover frequency, your tweeters probably aren't even accounting for 10% of the power in your system.
2. Tweeters, having tiny voice coils, will generally not even handle 50w. Ferrofluid can help, but there's still no reason to give them that much power. (And when I say that, I'm talking about using tweeters that come with ferrofluid, not adding it to a tweeter, though it's not totally impossible to do)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was told 40-60% of mid range speaker power but for most cases it sounds like that would be too much power. I will be running 40 watts to my L1V2 tweets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have Image Dynamics CSX64 6.5-inch 2-way component speakers in my Mazda 3. Currently running passive from a Precision Power PC2100 (2x100W @ 4 ohms) amplifier. I'm thinking about switching to an active 2-way setup (so I can use my DCX730 to control time alignment and EQ seperately for each speaker), having the mids run off the PC2100 and then another Precision Power amp for the tweeters. So should I have another PC2100 for the tweeters or will something like a PC250 (2x50W @ 4 ohms) be good enough?

The PC250 is more than you need. Just look for a 2 channel within your budget that does around 25W RMS. That's plenty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts