DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm dealing with a little ADHD, I've searched a few times here but I'm still a little confused. I'm building a new system for my 2005 F150 Supercrew. So far I've picked up a Alpine CDA-117 and I've just started to audition speakers, only problem, there's not many higher end stores in the Detroit area. Looking at $400 for the pair...

Question 1. What's going to be needed for me to run active

I'm looking at doing a SQ 5 channel amp, 4 channels at A/B and a Mono class D. I'm only going to be using front stage, no rears. Something like a Massive Nx5

Sub is going to be a single 10" under the rear seat

I'm going to be sealing up my doors, mounting the amp and equip on my back wall..
Question 2. Raw drivers...if I can go Active (see question 1) what drivers do people recommend? Tweeters? Mids? again..price point is $400...I've delt with Madisound, I built a set of home theater rear speakers using...these tweeters...Hi-Vi TN28, 1" Top Mount Fabric Dome Tweeter: Madisound Speaker Store
Which could be fun dash mounting them..

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for the input...
A Source/processor w/ Active capabilities. Amplifier w/ good X-overs
source is going to be the Alpine CDA-117...maybe someone can chime in...I thought this unit allows for Active fairly easy...

I take you will be running 2 way active + a single subwoofer. Going 2 way active is great for starters. You may want to double check on that Nx5. Like noted before, an amplifier w/ good X-overs is definately handy. Here is a link to a review on the NX5. If you scroll down, you will notice one of the 'cons' is lacking in X-overs.massive audio nano: NX5 (NX4 + NX2) Review
What should I be looking for in an Amp's x-overs?
Budget for front stage is $400...the mids will be in factory lower doors location, I'm open as far as the tweeters position go, I've heard to keep them as close to the mids as possible.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$400 just for 2 mids & 2 tweets, Another $400 will be for amp.
Factory size is 5x7 so i'll be making adapters to fit the mids, plenty of depth
My friend an I will be doing the install, we've done many installs..this is just the first time i'm thinking of active
I've got cables, deadner...ect...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Ah so the Alpine CDA-117 is active capable. Does it have 3 band eq?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to be honest, I'm not sure..I just thought I'd read somewhere here that is has the ability...mine is still in the box sitting in my garage...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I recommend Hertz HSK 165 for your front speakers. For that price point I haven't heard better components yet. I am running the tweeters from that set but with Pioneer 720PRS midbass active. Hertz has a very laid back, smooth and very musical sound reproduction, the tweeters are silk dome and I can blast my stereo without making my ears hurt one bit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
And I've auditioned the Alpine 117 with Hertz HSK 165 with Tru Technology Billet 4x100 with my ipod touch and I can still remember just how big of a smile I had on my face to hear how super crisp the Hertz speakers becomes with an Alpine h/u.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have a local Hertz dealer...any decent online dealers for them?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Most online stores have them listed around msrp price $450 or so. There's a local and pretty well known stereo shop named Beach Auto Sound in Huntington Beach, CA that has them in stock. Occasionally I do see these components go on sale in the classifieds, but most of the time they are the older generation of the HSK line. They sound similar but the newest gen (4th gen) is technologically superior than its predecessors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
the h/u can only go active if you add the imprint processor to it it does have a five band graphic or parametric eq though. if you want to keep it simple just add the imprint its cheap and will do the job just dont use the auto tune. and id keep the 5x7 in there itll have better midbass look at the cxs from image they work good active and sound great

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you go the the 6.5" route, we can supply you with speaker adapters.

We have 5x7" / 6x8" to 6.5" or 5.25" speaker adapters available on our website:

Car-Speaker-Adapters.com

You can see those exact speaker adapters installed in several Ford vehicles here:

speaker-installation-photos.com/Ford

and several Mazda vehicles here:

speaker-installation-photos.com/Mazda

You can buy them off the shelf, or have them custom made, to meet your needs.

We can offer you 50% off the purchase price of the speaker adapters, if you send us your installation photos, to post on our site.

Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the h/u can only go active if you add the imprint processor to it it does have a five band graphic or parametric eq though. if you want to keep it simple just add the imprint its cheap and will do the job just dont use the auto tune. and id keep the 5x7 in there itll have better midbass look at the cxs from image they work good active and sound great
I'm not sure that's correct...the manual I believe says different...do you know it cannot by experience? the 9887 couldn't but I believe the 117 can...no matter, I'm not going to be messing with active at this time...I just picket up some HAT unity, and I'm going to give them a run with their passive x-overs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts