DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Currently I have a Dynaudio 362 set of 3 way components I installed in my car. I had them running passive off the OEM HU to an Audison VRX 4.300. I never got it sounding very good so in hopes of solving that problem I wanted to get some sort of processor and switch to an active setup. I was told that my OEM HU on a Mazdaspeed6 is fine to use with no processor but I dont beleive it anymore. It may have a nice flat signal but it still sucks. I am wired to go active as I figured at some point I would do so, however I think my wires may be a little short. I assume I will need to extend them each a foot or so to reach the amps in the trunk whereas now they only had to reach the crossovers mounted on the supporting brace between the back seat and trunk in my MS6. This sucks, but oh well.

So what I want to do is get the JBL MS-8 and another amp. I am thinking the VRX 4.300 can run my tweets and mids and get another amp for the woofers. Does this sound like a good plan? What amp should I get? Or is the 4.300 good for the mids and woofers and just get something for the tweets? I have no idea where I will fit this amp either so it may end up hidden as I will also have to mount the MS-8 somewhere.

My other thought was to get Zapco DC amps and do away with my audison VRX 4.300 and LRX 1.1k but I will obviously lose money on the audisons and I have no clue how to tune I think that would lead to more headaches. I still don’t know how to properly set up the audison amps I have and that is definitely part of the reason why I could not get the system sounding good in passive mode with the crossovers.
Any thoughts would be great.

Now I am seeing mixed review on the MS-8, but I really have no time to tune this thing so Im sure what else I can do. I have spend so much time on this stereo and it still sounds like crap so I just want to have a good sounding stereo and be done as I now have a 4 month old boy.

EDIT:
Here are some pics:

MD142s in dash in place of side HVAC vents:

Doors:

8" in doors:

Subs and amps:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The new MMATS HiFi 6150d would be great for that three setup
well if i could have sold my VRX 4.300 then that would be something to look into, but its not going to sell.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Dude, long time no see! If I were you, I'd see about getting another 2 channels of matching Audison amplification for your midbasses, as much power as you can afford.

I'm pretty sure you can go active with the audisons' build in crossovers, but you'll still be without time alignment and EQ.

MS-8 will make tuning easier.

I'm up in Madison now, but always willing to help.

Edit: Another option is we could meet up and I can see if I can get it tuned any better for you.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey whats going on. Well I wanted to get a VRX 2.400 (2x250w), but cannot find one I can afford. Thinking a VRX 2.250 (2x160w) would work. The VRX 4.300 is 4x110w. I am thinking a LRX 2.9 (2x260w) is what I should get. I dont really understand how I could not get the things sounding good with what I have...maybe something is wrong with something. I could never get the setting right maybe just cause I dont know WTF I am doing or ??? At this point I am going active so I will get my stuff together get it installed and get you to finally help me set it all up. You think the LRX 2.9 would work good on the MD172s?

·
Registered
919 Posts
There's a few things that are probably making what you have not sound great right now.

The first thing is the speaker positions. The doors are fine, the tweeters are probably fine, I don't think the mids are fine. The way they're installed now you have drastic path length differences and they are both aiming straight back. You may be able to make up for this using DSP and active crossovers.

If I were you, before I went and dumped a pile of cashola on another amp and a processor and spent a bunch of time hooking it all up and hoping it would work, I would try to take the audison 4 channel and run the tweeters and the 8's as a two way. That should sound "OK" we could probably get that sounding pretty decent without any DSP.

I've got a PPI DCX-730 we could use as a loaner DSP to get you tuned, and that might help you make a decision as to which direction you want to go with the mids.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts