DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I've decided to finally go all in. I'm planning on running a 3 way active up front with a sub, and rear fill if I can (people in back seat a lot). It will all be installed in a 2000 Subaru Outback Wagon. I'm planning on using an Alpine W505/H701 combo (although I really like the looks of the Kenwood DNX 8120/9140, especially with the Garmin nav. If I found one cheap, I guess I could run another processor).

The proposed front stage at this point consists of DLS Iridium ir8 midbass(8"), either DLS ir3 or Dyn md140/2 mids, and Iridium or Dyn md100/2 tweets. The midbass drivers will be mounted in the doors (deadened and sealed as best I can), the mids in kicks, and the tweets have the option of going in the kicks with the mids, in the factory sail panel pods, or I can mount them on the A-pillar. I'll play with crossover points and such once i get them installed, but roughly planning on the midbass running 60-250hz, mids 250hz-3500/4000hz, and tweets up from there.

As for the sub, I'm still undecided. I'll use a single 10" or 12", and it'll be mounted in a fiberglass box molded to the space behind the rear passenger fender. I've considered DLS Iridium series, Image Dynamics Idq, JL W6, Dayton HO, etc... Basically just wanting something to blend well with the front stage (sound good up to around 100hz), but with it being so far away, I'm not sure how good it will sound.

As for power, I'm going all DLS. I already have an A4 to power the mids and tweets, and an A6 for the sub. I'll pick up an A3 (or an A2, but I like the overhead the A3 gives me) to run the midbass.

I plan on using quite a bit of deadening materials, as the car is quite loud. The only items I actually have from my last install are the DLS A4 and A6 (and a bunch of install accessories), so feel free to offer suggestions/opinions/comments for everything else. Sorry for the long winded post, but I like hearing other knowledgable peoples opinions (and yes, I'm aware they're just opinions), before I spend my hard earned money.

·
Registered
218 Posts
for great results, great looks, great sound and great feeling...

Fronts - all DLS Iridium
Amps. - all DLS A Series
Subs - DLS iridium 15 or go with the nobelium subs on sealed...

IMHO...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm kinda stuck with a sub that uses .75 cu ft. or less sealed, hence the reason for the Iridium series sub. The amps are definately going to be DLS, just not sure on the speakers and sub yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts