DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Well, I got it all wired up, installed, gains done, initial crossovers loaded into the DSP (big thank you to @THX0849 for all the help getting me rolling).

But I have a hiss/buzz noise at volume 0/mute, etc that was never there before - and that's unsat. I'm going to reground the DSP in another spot and hope for the best.

I do not have the wired remote

I unplugged my laptop when I heard it, no change

I did connect direct to the amp from head unit - noise gone. Plug back into dsp - noise.

Gaaaaaah

Sent from my 1+7P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
700 Posts
reminds me of when I use to run some minidsp 2x4 in my car. Had to get their dc-dc isolator to clean up the noise.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The bolted position it is in now is one of the bolts that holds the plastic trim behind the seats in place. I had been using it for the AudioControl amp before I started the DSP process. The ArcAudio amp was grounded to a seat bolt prior to me switching to the AudioControl.

Also, from my reading last night, people mention about having the RCA wires close to the power - My RCAs come down the passenger side, power down the driver side. However behind the amp rack there is a bundle of RCA extra cordage that I need to wrap and maybe pin away from the power.

Quite a few people mention to change the RCAs all together to good coaxial RCAs, but when the person having the issue does that, there is no change. I don't really have room behind my head unit at this point for in-line RCA Noise filters - so that is a very last resort.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
After quite a bit of reading - I have found that the issue might actually be because my head unit puts out 5v at the pre amp out puts, and max v input for the DSP is 3.2v. How do I step my voltage down?

Also:
I'm hoping it's just the ground. Perhaps I didn't do as good a job as I thought on it....

Probably not the best spot. This is before I had integrated the DSP ground with the amp ground on a new fitting. But that spot works fine for the Amp - with zero issues before the DSP was added.

I'm going to work the ground first - then go from there.

·
Registered
520 Posts
That's not actually a good ground at all. It really only makes contact at the spot welds, not the whole bracket. Try and find a bolt or nut that holds a seat hinge or something that's straight to the body not through an attached bracket. Also what's the wire from the body to the negative post on the battery look like? If it's thin add another wire to aid in grounding. Remember if you've got 0ga power wire from the battery you need the equivalent getting back to the battery too make a complete circuit, no voltage/ground drops. The Dayton pretty much needs shielded coaxial RCA's as it doesn't have balanced connections. If you're using twisted pair RCA the Dayton had no way of taking advantage of the cancellation of noise the twisted pair offers.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
257 Posts
And can't tell but that looks like painted metal. You'll want to scuff it to bare metal and try again. Go with shielded RCAs, or, I'll bet if you tried the bluetooth input you'd get rid of the noise altogether

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
And can't tell but that looks like painted metal. You'll want to scuff it to bare metal and try again. Go with shielded RCAs, or, I'll bet if you tried the bluetooth input you'd get rid of the noise altogether
Oh, I'm sure it will. But then that negates the Android Auto usability.

I'm going to get basic on it this afternoon. Test out possible grounding locations for resistance, then route the left over RCA bundle (I think there's about 2' left over behind the rack that I did not pin up, so I'm sure it's laying on the power line).

I'll pick up some good shielded RCA's today as well. I feel like I'm going down the same hole as in this thread here:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I'm almost at witt's end.

With Stinger 4000 rca and new ground location:

With Boss RCAs straight back to dsp:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Just ran the ground direct from the DSP to the battery with no joy no change buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz

·
Registered
520 Posts
That's super loud for volume at 0. You aren't machining out the gains or the DSP right? When i had that exact combo the amp gains were at the middle detent position and the DSP was at 55 or 58 IIRC.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
That's super loud for volume at 0. You aren't machining out the gains or the DSP right? When i had that exact combo the amp gains were at the middle detent position and the DSP was at 55 or 58 IIRC.

I'm not maxing out gains. Gains were set to match RMS. The master volume in the dsp control software is however set at +6 Db. I don't have my Bluetooth dongle yet, so I don't have a number value

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm not maxing out gains. Gains were set to match RMS. The master volume in the dsp control software is however set at +6 Db. I don't have my Bluetooth dongle yet, so I don't have a number value

Ok definitely bring that way down. 0 or even -5.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I bought this through Amazon and as soon as I can find the box it's going back in the box and getting returned. Parts Express was not a help. Recommended I buy more stuff to fix the problem. That is unsat. There is no reason why this shouldn't work right out of the box.

Recommend me some other options for a DSP

·
Registered
520 Posts
To be honest i had one and ended up returning it due to noise. Mine was a restock unit so couldn't get an exchange. I had noise and no remote turn on from it. I also refused to buy more stuff to make it quiet. I'm sorry you've had the issue, i thought mine was a more isolated issue, guess not. For the time being you can use your amp to run the system in the mean time, just set the amp crossovers accordingly. The 2 DSPs i mentioned are in the price range of the Dayton piece. Both are good units. The mini DSP has a leg up of you will as it is one of the default DSP built into REW.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Don't forget to look through the classifieds here also, might be something you'd like. I got mine that way.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
After more reading than I care to admit to, last night I discovered my error.

When I set the mixer - and assigned channels, I turned each of those inputs up to 100% - this is what was causing the noise. My order of operations was not complete - I should have set each of those volumes with the O-Scope individually. I won't make that mistake next time.

While I thought I was taking my time and working in a methodical order, I wasn't.

I ordered a miniDSP C-DSP 6x8 to replace the DSP408. I think I have a better handle on what needs to be done to get the initial gain structure set up now.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts