DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read in several columns the benefits of going full active (I know it is more flexible and easier to tune).
Just want to ask, on a 3 way setup, having 3 amps for each drivers, is it really efficient to power a set of tweeters with a single amp? Considering a tweeter doesn't need that much power to drive it?
I just don't see the point. Is it just a waste of money? Please enlighten me.
Thanks in advance :eek:

·
Registered
415 Posts
you dont necessarily need an individual amp for the tweeters.

what you need is individual channels for each speaker.

so you can buy a 4 channel amp and power the mids and tweeters. then a 2 channel amp for the midbasses.

or a 6 channel amp all together..

i have two 4-channel amps for my 3-way front stage.
- 4 channels for mids and tweets
- 4 channels bridged to 2 for midbasses
- also since the amps are the same, they look symetrical in the install that im going for

in theory, since the signal/frequencies are cut before that amplifier, when the amplifier recieves the signal, it only has to amplify a small portion of the full sound spectrum. so in turn, the amplifier doesnt have to work as hard and would amplify those frequencies "better" then it would when having to amplify the whole spectrum...

also, since each speaker has its own channel, you can tune (xover / time align / eq) each speaker to any desired way you might want them. whereas if you were to have a mid and tweet off a passive with mids in lower doors and tweets in upperdoors (sailpanels) or a-pillers, its obvious that the tweeters are closer but you would only be able to time align each side/channel.

IMO, its a waste of money spending hundreds/thousands of dollars on a speaker/xover component system that WASNT DESIGNED for YOUR CAR and INSTALL.

from what ive seen, the closest thing you can get to full active is the Alpine Type-X speakers (either F1 or SPX) becase you can adjust slopes and xover points on the passive xover and tune it to your installation.

·
Registered
265 Posts
10K2HVN said:
since each speaker has its own channel, you can tune (xover / time align / eq) each speaker to any desired way you might want them.
Very well said!
Yeah, you don't even need a large amp especially for the tweeters. I got a tiny little amp to power the tweeters, and they sound great. Once the time alignment was turned on... the imaging dynamically improved!

David

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think the Elate series from Morel have a similar tuning sytem on their passives.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tirefryr said:
I think the Elate series from Morel have a similar tuning sytem on their passives.
Funny you said that because I'm running the 3way elate6.
I just brought 2pcs, 2 channel amp (DLS A3). Im planning to connect the mids and tweets to one amp and the midbass has its own amp. (The A3 produces 2 x 150w at 4ohms).
What do you think guys?

·
Registered
415 Posts
so do the Utopia Be, Rainbow Platnum and Reference.. but that wasnt really the point...

i think your setup will be fine. i would keep the mids and tweets very close to each other and use the passives and run active between the mids+tweets and midbasses.

if you have the mids and tweets in kicks and midbasses in doors, and want to keep the TA down to a minimum for both listeners. then i would at least TA the midwoofers back to the mids/tweets. this should raise your soundstage up, but i cant say much for your center image....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm planning at the moment to connect my tweeter and midrange to a 2 ch amp (my midbass has a dedicated 2channel amp of its own).
Left tweet and mids in the left channel, Right tweets and mids in the right channel. In my amps manual, it is said that all speakers should have a 4ohm impedence. My question is given that my tweeters has a 6ohm impedance while my mids has 4ohm, would that create a conflict?
I don't want to fry my tweets or anything so I better be sure than sorry.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Higher impedence should never be a problem. It's the lower impedence that you need to worry about. Pushing larger impedence means that your amp will work less. Thus, it will run cooler and last longer. Letting one pair of channel run 4 ohms loads and the other pair of channels running 6ohms does not harm the amp either. In fact I do that with My Arc audio 4150CLX amp right now.

David

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice.
I decided to swap my 2channel amp(A3) to a 4channel amp(A4) for my tweets and mids, but still retaining a 2channel amp exclusively for my midbass. I think that would be better, eh?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts