DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Golf R
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Ive had my car for about a year with Discover Pro and Dynaudio and have finally cracked, it’s the worst I’ve ever heard of the Bose, Harmon etc factory upgrades. Anyway my kit list is as follows:

Nav TV Zen V
Audison Bit One HD
JL C7 2-way components
2 x JL W6 10” Subs
2 x JL HD900/5

This is the 1st time I’ve ever attempted to install anything myself and I got 90% of the info and advice from Car Audio Fabrication - Custom Techniques , Video Tutorials Car Audio and tuning from https://testgear.audiofrog.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/A-Straightforward-Stereo-Tuning-Process-and-Some-Notes-About-Why-it-Works.pdf

·
Registered
2018 Golf R
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It was an outrageous amount of work! I now fully appreciate why installers charge so much. That being said, with all the how to videos on YouTube, I managed to do the full install, set gains and tune it, with no experience. I ran 0 gauge power and 2x 6mm Van Damme speaker cable everywhere, I even changed out the internal speaker wire of the W6 subs. So far I’ve only done basic tuning and it sounds very good. I will let it run in for a month or so and then do a proper RTA.

One complaint I have with the Audison BitOne is that the DRC broke after one day, it just cut out and won’t turn on. After a quick search online this seems to be a very common problem. The Audison software, while very thorough in terms of options, does not look very modern and only works on PC. The process for updating and installing usb drivers is also a bit convoluted. In this day and age, it’s frankly embarrassing that they don’t have at least a Mac OS version but an ipad app etc. I’m pretty sure JL, Brax and Helix all have much better, user friendly software.

The Nav TV unit was basically plug and play. You remove your OEM amp, take the MOST adapter and plug it into the NAV TV unit. Then run SPDIF and remote turn on from Nav TV to DSP and away you go. All OEM functionality remains, radio, Apple car play, cd, warning sounds, reversing camera sounds, all of it works perfectly.

So I have the OEM setup and then an Astell & Kern hi res player, also via toslink. The Hi Res player sounds MUCH better to my ear than the OEM setup. Unfortunately, as the DRC is broken, I currently can’t listen to it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Great install, how do you like it? I'm going to re-do my system in the near future and have similar equipment. I'm curious how you like the mid bass from those c7-650's?

Did you go through an existing hole in the door for those wires? It looks like it's all your wiring, did you just drill and run your own?

·
Registered
524 Posts
good job man, I’m impressed with your first install, I’ve seen plenty jobs from shops with filthy wiring and you pulled that off from online info only. I have full confidence in you putting a proper tune on it

·
Registered
2018 Golf R
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Great install, how do you like it? I'm going to re-do my system in the near future and have similar equipment. I'm curious how you like the mid bass from those c7-650's?

Did you go through an existing hole in the door for those wires? It looks like it's all your wiring, did you just drill and run your own?
Thanks mate, I really like it so far, its punchy and detailed and the bass is sooooo nice. I have been out the game for about 10 years and my old system was Pioneer ODR CD & DSP and then focal TLR and Utopia mids, with a W7 sub. That system was absolutely amazing for say Norah Jones, but I had to have several different presets for different music and heavy rock/ hiphop etc always sounded a bit harsh. This system is much more balanced. Once the confinement ends I might try and find somebody with real tuning experience to set it up right.

So for the door cables, I initially removed the OEM socket and intended to drill through it. It's a very bad idea because there is not enough room in the socket and it's a nightmare to get on and off. I actually broke some of the clips on the socket putting it back on, so it's just forced into place. It's the only thing I broke during the whole process but still a pain. There is actually an OEM grommet below it coming out of the cabin, and plenty of room below the cable entry in the door to drill a hole:

·
Registered
2018 Golf R
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I filled that hole around the tubing with Sugru glue. I'd never used it before but it's great for this job. It comes as a moldable paste and then in 30 mins it dries to a sort of silicone.

·
Registered
2018 Golf R
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
good job man, I’m impressed with your first install, I’ve seen plenty jobs from shops with filthy wiring and you pulled that off from online info only. I have full confidence in you putting a proper tune on it
Thanks mate, I just watched youtube videos and took it one step at a time. That audiofrog article on tuning is fantastic so I'm just working at absorbing it all and playing around with the RTA. MiniDSP now do a car audio DSP with Dirac Live so it would be interesting to see how that sounds for people who want a more automated tune.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I’m familiar with that processor and it’s a viable route especially for people like you who may not be interested in the long term learning curve of manual tuning, I’ve listened to several cars using it and they all sounded fantastic, again great job on the install.

·
Registered
34 Posts
MiniDSP now do a car audio DSP with Dirac Live so it would be interesting to see how that sounds for people who want a more automated tune
MiniDSP should be a nice step up from the BitOne, just like any DSP from Helix Pro family.
Lack of dynamics and resolution makes BitOne questionable choice for SQ.
It's internal DSP is fixed on 48 KHz audio processing so all 44 KHz tracks are being upsampled by ASRC.
44 to 48 KHz upsampling always hurts, especially when made cheap and simple.

MiniDSP family known for very good DSPs and software. Hope someday they'll start making DACs stages similarly well...
Haven't heard Dirac yet, but doubt that it would solve all setup problems. Overprocessing often accumulates rounding errors which makes sound flat and boring.
I'd suggest to find pro experienced in Car DSP tuning and pay him for proper initial setup.
Right DSP settings usually gives more than most hardware upgrades.

·
Registered
2018 Golf R
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MiniDSP should be a nice step up from the BitOne, just like any DSP from Helix Pro family.
Lack of dynamics and resolution makes BitOne questionable choice for SQ.
It's internal DSP is fixed on 48 KHz audio processing so all 44 KHz tracks are being upsampled by ASRC.
44 to 48 KHz upsampling always hurts, especially when made cheap and simple.

MiniDSP family known for very good DSPs and software. Hope someday they'll start making DACs stages similarly well...
Haven't heard Dirac yet, but doubt that it would solve all setup problems. Overprocessing often accumulates rounding errors which makes sound flat and boring.
I'd suggest to find pro experienced in Car DSP tuning and pay him for proper initial setup.
Right DSP settings usually gives more than most hardware upgrades.
It’s a bit One HD so processed by the DSP at 24 bit/96 kHz which is the same as all the others listed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It’s a bit One HD so processed by the DSP at 24 bit/96 kHz which is the same as all the others listed.
Sorry, I overlooked "HD" part. Correct, HD have much better DSP, but their DAC/Output stage is still far from great.
In this case switching to miniDPS doesn't make lot of sence.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts