DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a small Kenwood KSC-SW11 compact powered sub under the passenger seat of my 4Runner and it's just not doing it for me anymore - it's pretty underwhelming and wish I didn't waste my money on it. I used to be dead set on not using any of my rear cargo area, but have recently decided that a single conventional sub would make me happier, and I could always move it if needed. I've modeled a small rear firing sealed enclosure that will just sit behind the back seat. Here's what I'm looking for, and would appreciate any recommendations you have:
  • 12" sub with no more than 5.75-6" of mounting depth
  • Models well in no more than .75 cu. ft. sealed enclosure
  • Runs happily with 500W @ 2 ohms
  • Musical, but can also hit hard with reasonable SPL - I listen to a wide variety of music (Country, Rock, with a bit of old school rap thrown in)
  • Price point <$200 but ideally closer to $150 (New, I don't want to track down used equipment)
I was thinking the Dayton HO might be a good choice, but would love to hear any other ideas! I would also consider a 10" if it fits the above criteria, but I know a 12" is normally going to be better overall. Thanks!

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have the Dayton 12 inch model HO in my Mustang and I have it in a 3 ft.³ sealed box and that thing makes the windows vibrate with just 150 watts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
your goals are all good, but your budget it low. Save more and you will have better options. If not, then get and ID12 from image dynamics.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys! What if I were to compromise a bit and move to a 10"? Does that help due to volume, or no?

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
Thanks for the input guys! What if I were to compromise a bit and move to a 10"? Does that help due to volume, or no?
Nope, the 12" will give you more impact. Especially at the low budget you have set.

·
Listener of Music
3,425 Posts
Someone was selling a SI bm mkv. I don't catch how much. It's a 12" and has more impact than a lot of regular subs and only 3.4" mounting depth. Something like 13mm+ xmax.

So even if you spent $300 on one it would be money well spent. Check the classifieds on here.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As Theslaking stated the SI bm MKv would fit the bill and they are doing another run of them, but the price currently for the pre-order is $399. They only need 0.6-0.75 cubic feet in the box so you won't be sacrificing that much space.

·
Listener of Music
3,425 Posts
I'm saying I read the for sale thread on here in the last couple days. The person was selling two. I didn't catch price.

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
I'm saying I read the for sale thread on here in the last couple days. The person was selling two. I didn't catch price.

way over his budget. plus the seller wants to sell the pair.

·
Registered
185 Posts
An IDQ10 will fit those requirements. I had one in a Jeep Grand Cherokee in a .65 cu ft box, on 500 watts (alpine pdx v9) and I really liked it. Not super loud, but very musical and clean.

Otherwise the Dayton 12HO..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts