DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been using the internal amp of my head unit but I seem to run into overheating issues, so I'm looking into getting an external amp.

Obviously I don't need much power, since the internal amp was enough for me.

Any suggestions of a good, cheap, 4ch amp, probably to be bought on eBay (new or used)?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Monitor 1 amplifiers fit that bill for a while but are harder to find now. Those clarion amps arent too bad either. If you are on a serious budget look up the Profile california series amps, they arent great but are good on a budget and do their rated power in most cases.

·
Registered
693 Posts
i just picked up a pair of clarion APX amps. the 401.2 and 401.4. i gave $200 for them. awesome budget amps. but kinda hard to find. they would get my vote.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

define cheap.
For example, I've heard that the Hifonics zx6400 is pretty good, it does 85W x 4 @ 4 Ohms and it's selling new for $175 on eBay.

I was hoping I could find something less powerful and cheaper.

Monitor 1 amplifiers fit that bill for a while but are harder to find now.
None for sale right now, but a few of those (2 X 70W @ 4 OHM) have been sold for $50 recently on eBay...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a NIB diamond audio D5300.2 on ebay for $85 and I got a NIB diamond audio D5300.4 on overstock auctions for $71.50. Can't beat those prices. Both amps are tanks too, awesome build quality and they sound great.

·
Registered
693 Posts
minitruck_freq said:
i just picked up a pair of clarion APX amps. the 401.2 and 401.4. i gave $200 for them. awesome budget amps. but kinda hard to find. they would get my vote.

also ....check out the KAR series from Arc Audio.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I'll second the Profile amps. They can be had for really cheap on either Ebay, IkeSound, or Millionbuy. They make a good amp. I use them myself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow, it's hard to beat the Diamond Audio. But if you're interested in a a German engineered, Korean made :) Mbquart raa2400, check out Crutchfield. I received it yesterday for $229 shipped. You'll need a code for the free shipping and $20 off. You can find it with a google search I think.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I checked out alpine amps online, and price seemed comparable to the new phoenix gold xenon's or diamond audio.....out of those three, which would you guys go with and why? All 3 of these brands seem to be prety highly regarded online for just good solid amps (w/o getting into any of the high-end stuffs :>)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Again, thanks for all the suggestions, I've checked out every amp that has been suggested so far. Most of those seem to be hard to find though, especially considering I'm in Canada.

However the Profile amps are very easy to find on eBay :

PROFILE HA1040 Baja
RMS Output Power (4 Ohms) 80W x 4
$65

Profile AP1040 California
RMS Output Power (4 Ohms): 75W x 4
$89

Profile AP740 California
RMS Output Power (4 ohms): 60W x 4
$65
Those prices are so low, it's kinda scary. :eek:

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'm comparing say....any of the newer MRV alpines, and I guess the newer d6 model diamonds vs. the PG's.....on the ikesound link ,the prices for the alpines and PG's are nearly identical, actually PG running maybe a little cheaper.....and the alpines seeming to be a little more feature rich...

(how do older V12 alpines stack up also?)

About those profile amps, are the claifornia series their best series? The specs on the Clarus seemed a little better.....JUst in case these others prove too pricey for me, lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oops, didn't notice the 2nd page when I first replied.

rexplay said:
Wow, it's hard to beat the Diamond Audio. [...]
Yep, $71.50 for NIB Diamond D5300.4 would be nice.

I've checked out some completed auctions on eBay and they're selling for $150...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
racerraul said:
Shop around for an alpine MRP-D240... very clean budget amp...
More info if anyone is interested:

Alpine MRP-F240 (no such thing as a D240, must be a typo)
4 x 40W @ 4 ohms
$150 on eBay

·
Registered
578 Posts
Lawnboy360 said:
More info if anyone is interested:

Alpine MRP-F240 (no such thing as a D240, must be a typo)
4 x 40W @ 4 ohms
$150 on eBay
LOL... Fedinitely a typo... I'm tired, lights are out & the freaking letters are next to each other on my keyboard... Odd to bef I go...

Fon't get one od my keyboarfs... :D

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I have an older alpine, mrv-f400. its nice and clean and cheap. i bought it for $50 on ebay a lil while ago.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.