DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know what I want, just trying to figure out my options.

I want 24db/octave LW crossovers, and I need 8 channels for active fronts (4), rear fill (bandpassed), and subs.

As far as the EQ goes, I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for as far as number of bands. I do know that I want to be able to EQ left and right separately, so six channels (no need to EQ woofer and tweeter of same side of active set up separately right?).

I don't really need a signal processor with time alignment, but that wouldn't be a bad thing to include to make my future plans easier. I currently have a source unit that does the job for me, but I intend to move to a car computer in the future. Keeping that as hardware processing would remove the need to rely on a software solution.

I'm reading as much as I can, but I'm not nearly as familiar with my options here.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Bit1, Helix P-DSP, Arc, Mosconi to name a few. I know the Bit1 gives you the choice of LR and BW filters. I'm not sure about the others.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
minidsp 2 x 8. does it all. independent l/r eq (or clone), t/a, just doesn't look as pretty (has no case). or you could do 2 - 2x4's which have nice cases for a little bit less. they're also smaller. but you'll likely want the isolation power supply as well. so cost is the same as the 2x8. Or you can go with any of the other processors plus many more.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MiniDSP looks like a very promising option. I'm not worried about it having a case. I'm building my entire setup underneath a false floor, so I can have it extremely well protected.

I really just need to understand how all the plug ins work. Would it be better to run the 4x10 or 10x10?

Also this brings up questions on having two inputs vs 6 or 8 inputs. I would assume this high end of a DSP will derive the other channels as well as any source unit, hence removing the need for more than two channels for stereo audio.

I'm definitely going to adopt a digital input though since I plan on eventually running this from the computer. Combined with all the other tools that this has with a computer, I think I'm sold already. The price point really isn't bad either compared to a lot of the other options I was looking at.

I'll still take a peak at the other options, but I think this has all I want. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
does your source have 2 channels or 8 channels or 10 channels? I find no reason other than control from the source rather than minidsp to have more than 2 channels. If you have a dedicated sub out that you want to be able to adjust then having more than 1 set of inputs would be nice.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does your source have 2 channels or 8 channels or 10 channels? I find no reason other than control from the source rather than minidsp to have more than 2 channels. If you have a dedicated sub out that you want to be able to adjust then having more than 1 set of inputs would be nice.
My current source unit has 6 channels, but I won't be changing the front/rear balance just on whims, and I can set up a sub volume knob to control the sub amp.

I don't think it's worth it to maintain control at a HU, I really don't care about that. I'll be perfectly happy with the two inputs then (and going digital down the road). I'll definitely order my miniDSP with the digital input option.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well after reading more the only thing I don't like is that I would have to get a separate miniDSP unit to run the rear differenced signal plug in for my rear fill. The 2x8 doesn't have enough delay to handle rear fill appropriately even though I could create my differenced signal by fooling a balanced input. In the short term I can add delay with my HU, but eventually when I switch to the carputer I'll need a separate miniDSP module to handle this. It's still a great option for me and cheaper than other DSPs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts