DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this is beating a dead horse, but I've been trying doing a ton of research (new into car audio). Most of the discussions on these have been from years past, and audio equipment seems to have a higher inflation rate than the US in the past 15 years combined... I am building my system from the ground up, and the DSP is where I'm starting since I intend on keeping the factory radio (2015 Civic EX Sedan). I've been eyeing a few units, but I'd like to see what the audio world thinks of them:

MiniDSP 6x8
Dayton DSP-408
Rockford DSR1
Kicker Front Row

I know each have their own pros and cons (no EQ, not user friendly, etc...), but I'd like a decent DSP without smashing my budget SQ build. And by SQ, I mean daily driven, love for music SQ; not the going into competition or dropping $5K plus on my build SQ. Thank you all in advance for the help!

Also, the overall goal of this final build is stealth, complete system for under $1,200. I already have a Rockford P2D4 run off of an R500X1D that I've had for a couple of years.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
That's a tight budget for a complete system with speakers, amps, and DSP's. I have a Zapco DC REF 650.6 I'm looking to sell in the near future. That could run an entire 3 way front stage with built in DSP. It would be cheap enough to allow you to upgrade your front drivers. Wouldn't do anything for your sub though...

I agree that the miniDSP is a good solution if looking for an external DSP.

Ge0

Reactions: The Italian

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
As long as you're keeping things simple, it's easily done. I've done systems including deck, amp, component set, sub, and wiring for less. The key to it is simplicity and humbleness while being logical. Sounds philosophical, but trust.... many here take things way overboard. You can do it.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll just be running an active two way in the front, I'm not trying to go full throttle. Plus, if I was going to run three way, I'd want a stacked setup on my A pillar - which is just screaming for someone to smash my window open lol. The plan is to use a Zapco ST-4X SQ to run the fronts; I think the Rockford setup will suffice for the sub, it's sweet bass without blowing the trunk open.

·
Registered
403 Posts
That's a tight budget for a complete system with speakers, amps, and DSP's. I have a Zapco DC REF 650.6 I'm looking to sell in the near future. That could run an entire 3 way front stage with built in DSP. It would be cheap enough to allow you to upgrade your front drivers. Wouldn't do anything for your sub though...

I agree that the miniDSP is a good solution if looking for an external DSP.

Ge0
Those are pretty cool amps Ge0...it only they weren't the size of a football field or if I was still driving one of my old trucks, I'd probably still run them.

OP, buying something used, but of good quality might make it easier to reach your goal while staying within your budget.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
Active 2-way on a budget is easy as long as you can deal with s few minor issues. If fairly inexpensive component sets like JBL and others can pull it off, you can too even if it means using the same components actively crossed. Several of those sets don't even have a low pass filter on the mid.. they roll off naturally. Starting with drivers that don't need a lot of manipulation is one key to cutting costs... at least for them.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Registered
2016 WRX (FA20DIT)
207 Posts
The key to it is simplicity and <humility> while being logical.
Whoooaaaa dude...,most excellent!
lol just having a chuckle man. not intending to be a deuce or anything! I am interested as to where you believe humility would be a key? I am an Engineer so 'logical simplicity' makes perfect sense :)
Active 2-way on a budget is easy as long as you can deal with s few minor issues.
Logic and simplicity just left, Why go active if you are on a budget? Passive will make your life a lot easier and allow you to spend your coin on as few items as possible (therefore allowing you to possibly buy better quality versions of those items). Just a thought mate, all the best (y)
Peace

·
Registered
885 Posts
I know that you said under $300, but if you were able to get that up to $499, you could get a MiniDSP 8x12 v2.0 - which would also give you the ability to add DiracLive at a later time if/when desired.

It is significantly more than your $300 budget though... Maybe try to find a used one? I just think it's a pretty good upgrade over the 6x8 - especially since you can add DiracLive later if you wanted to.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Are you installing any sound deadening? I know it's unlikely but still interesting in a build with a tight budget like this one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you installing any sound deadening? I know it's unlikely but still interesting in a build with a tight budget like this one.
The trunk is already done due to the sub, I would just have to do the doors in the front.. I can get enough Noico 80 mil and red foam to do both doors for under $130.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whoooaaaa dude...,most excellent!
lol just having a chuckle man. not intending to be a deuce or anything! I am interested as to where you believe humility would be a key? I am an Engineer so 'logical simplicity' makes perfect sense :)

Logic and simplicity just left, Why go active if you are on a budget? Passive will make your life a lot easier and allow you to spend your coin on as few items as possible (therefore allowing you to possibly buy better quality versions of those items). Just a thought mate, all the best (y)
Peace
Because I want to use seperate components. Some of the speakers I like have tweeters that play too harsh or are too big to fit behind the factory grill; and if I run different tweeters, I don't want to worry about the crossover being compatible.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Not quite under budget but close. ADDSP68

and if you are really on a tight budget. ADDSP46

Reactions: Codyashi

·
Registered
2016 WRX (FA20DIT)
207 Posts
Because I want to use seperate components. Some of the speakers I like have tweeters that play too harsh or are too big to fit behind the factory grill; and if I run different tweeters, I don't want to worry about the crossover being compatible.
Fair enough! Maybe try one of the amplifier/DSP combos...? I only suggest that as it sounds like you have a good idea what you want to do; and a stringent list of requirements for a build doesn't play well with 'budget'. I think most of us have been there...
All good man, best of luck (y)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not quite under budget but close. ADDSP68

and if you are really on a tight budget. ADDSP46
That ADDSP46 looks nice for the price; I've never heard of Audio Dynamics, are they a good brand? It looks like it has a slightly higher output voltage than the MiniDSP, and all I really need are four inputs. My civic only has four output channels anyways, so it would work well for my setup. Thank you for the link!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fair enough! Maybe try one of the amplifier/DSP combos...? I only suggest that as it sounds like you have a good idea what you want to do; and a stringent list of requirements for a build doesn't play well with 'budget'. I think most of us have been there...
All good man, best of luck (y)
I've thought about that, but a lot of those are really high for the good ones ($700+). I've run the Audio Control LC2i on my sub, and I've been nothing but happy with it. I assume all of their equipment is on the same level of quality, but you definitely pay for it! That's why I really love this forum; so many people from so many levels of audio, and a TON of input and support no matter how much money you have to spend.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
That ADDSP46 looks nice for the price; I've never heard of Audio Dynamics, are they a good brand? It looks like it has a slightly higher output voltage than the MiniDSP, and all I really need are four inputs. My civic only has four output channels anyways, so it would work well for my setup. Thank you for the link!
They're supposed to be a good quality product, but I have my doubts. They used to have some feature on their lower tier (ADK and ADMK) amps that made them sound like they had more power, they had some fancy name for it, but it was a compression circuit. As for what they are now, they say their premium amps (ADP and ADMP) are designed by Stephen Mantz of Zed Audio, so that seems very good, and they seem to be very up-front with the specs.

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
I have a MiniDSP that I can sell you for cheap...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They're supposed to be a good quality product, but I have my doubts. They used to have some feature on their lower tier (ADK and ADMK) amps that made them sound like they had more power, they had some fancy name for it, but it was a compression circuit. As for what they are now, they say their premium amps (ADP and ADMP) are designed by Stephen Mantz of Zed Audio, so that seems very good, and they seem to be very up-front with the specs.
I've seen some of their subs on the Hexibase channel, and he seems to be a pretty legit dude. I'm really going to have to consider the AD DSP, since it's output voltage is a little higher than MiniDSP; it would help take some stress off of the amps.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts