DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for a monoblock for my single Focal 33KX (13", DVC 400watts RMS @ 2ohm). I plan on running it in parallel at 1ohm, so does this amp look like a good bet?

Image Dynamics Q600.1

Budget is around $300-400 for new or used. Would rather buy a nicer amp second-hand if it's going to be measurably better.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Hmmmm, why dont you just do this Pair... the F2 190 was on demo board with Focal 33 v1's, and the F4 380 were on other Focals.. It was a Focal board i had set up. This setup would be in your budget, but yet your getting TOP quality brand... The F2 190 was $449, and the F4 380 was $649, and you are talking about clean amps, not some off the wall junk.. Its worth a look at...

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...749-audio-system-twister-amps-made-italy.html

Ahhhh, i just realized you had the KX, didnt pay alot of attention, those are dual 2ohm VC, so you need a 1 ohm or 4 ohm, because the F2 190 is [email protected], and around [email protected] ohm.. still would be clean power for the sub.

·
Registered
135i
913 Posts
No worries were here to learn. 4 Ohm will run a amp cooler, not drain the car as much, provide better transients, and over all a better option and this is a SQ build, so, to get most out of this, run at 4 ohms, never 1 ohm UNLESS you have upgraded yada yada.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No worries were here to learn. 4 Ohm will run a amp cooler, not drain the car as much, provide better transients, and over all a better option and this is a SQ build, so, to get most out of this, run at 4 ohms, never 1 ohm UNLESS you have upgraded yada yada.
I'm confused. I've read you should always run your equipment at the lowest stable ohm-rating. Since my sub is OK at 1ohm, I should run this with a high-end amp that's also stable at 1ohm, right? Otherwise I cut my power to 100watts RMS. I realize SQ is the goal, but I still only have 1 sub...

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
I'm confused. I've read you should always run your equipment at the lowest stable ohm-rating. Since my sub is OK at 1ohm, I should run this with a high-end amp that's also stable at 1ohm, right? Otherwise I cut my power to 100watts RMS. I realize SQ is the goal, but I still only have 1 sub...
If an amp is designed to be 1 ohm stable then it's not a problem to use it @ 1 ohm... However you have to remember a few things:
- amps run hotter the lower you go in impedance
- class A/B are less efficient than class D amps
- class A/B runs hotter than class D amps
- you won't hear a 100rms difference on subwoofers

If you really want to use A/B on your subwoofer, I suggest this one @ 4 ohm:
JBL GTO7001 (GTO-7001) 700W RMS Monoblock Grand Touring Amplifier

Kelvin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.