DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's are the present good midbass/tweeter setups for sound quality? I've been out of the loop for a while. I'll be using active X-overs.
Thanks.....Ray

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
There are many. My personal favorite is Dynuadio, they're neutral and natural sounding with great detail and SQ and take a ton of power.

There's a long list of good sounding components out there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any certain price range you are looking at? I can mention a few brands that I'm sure others will mention, too. Focal comes to mind, I just heard a Focal setup that someone had that sounded awesome, but it certainly wasn't cheap! If you're looking at lower priced stuff, I have a friend who recently figured he'd take a chance and ordered a Lanzar component set (I know you'll be using active x-overs) I think it was the Opti or Optidrive or something like that, whatever it is it was their "top of the line" for about $140 from an online retailer. He's running something like 150 w clean power thru each side and they sound damn good, maybe not as good as the Focal's I heard, but at a fraction of the price!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I prefer Focal. Hertz is a very popular brand, with good reason also.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
There are many good car audio brands around. Dynaudio/DLS/Focal/Hertz/Audison/Genesis/Ground Zero/Alpine/Pioneer for example, all have have good high-end speaker lines.

Then there's a huge home audio DIY speaker market aswell. Scan-Speak/Seas/Peerless/Vifa are famous brands which also happen to be quite popular in car audio.

Dayton/Fountek/Visaton/Tang-band make "good-for-value" drivers. Love my Fountek fullranges, costs like 100$/pair ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses guys.
That Dynaudio is very nice but too much $. I know cheap ain't good and good ain't cheap but.....I have many other projects on the go.
I looked at the Opti line. The higher end has titanium dome tweeters that I think would be harsh for front use. Their lower Lanzar Opti lineup has silk dome tweeters. I'll likely order these in the near future but I'll do more searching.
2 Phoenix Gold 10" subs powered by an Orion HCCA 2100 will fill the low end.
Ray

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just ordered another set of Exodus Audio Anarchy 6.5s. If you have the depth to mount them these are great mids They are on sale for $65 each. I've slammed a set for 8 months with 250 rms.They are the loudest & cleanest 6.5 I ever owned. I' running them active crossed from 50 to 2500 hz.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Interesting, I checked out the Lanzar stuff after posting my message too, just to make sure I was correct on the price. Online car stereo, among others, has them for around $140 with shipping +/- a few bucks. I see the ones you are talking about, too for $79 plus shipping, an even better deal. They look interesting with the aluminum cones and if you really prefer silk tweeters, then maybe that's the way to go. I have usually found that titanium tweeters were fine with me, as long as they were "tuned" right. I know Lanzar used to have a pretty big name in car audio, way back when I started messing around with it 20+ years ago, but I guess they kind of faded. Maybe now they will make some sort of comeback. All I know is that I listened to my friend's system "blind", I didn't know what speakers he had used and he's spent some pretty big $$$ before, so I assumed he did again and I was surprised to hear what they ended up being!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Go to DIYCable.com & check out the Anarchys. If you want a great sounding mid bass for $130 this is your speaker.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I agree with the anarchy's they sound great for the money. I would look at Morel and Hybrid Audio Technology as well. They both have something for every budget. Remember you get what you pay for in many cases.
I agree but you'll get in trouble for saying that around here lol. The best speaker cost $1 and it outperforms the $1,000 speakers. Just kidding but the general theme here is price means nothing and sometimes people will look down on you for buying expensive stuff, just my experience.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
True...I caught hell when I first joined. People complained I had bought the KRX3 set which is most definitely not cheap....but I don't have the time to audition multiple drivers to find what I like. I had used many Focal sets before and knew I liked the sound so I went with what I knew.
Even with people bitching I stuck around and this place has turned into an invaluable tool.
It's even convinced me to ditch the crossovers and run 4 way active...even though I don't have a clue what I'm doing tuning wise to this day. lol

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
True...I caught hell when I first joined. People complained I had bought the KRX3 set which is most definitely not cheap....but I don't have the time to audition multiple drivers to find what I like. I had used many Focal sets before and knew I liked the sound so I went with what I knew.
Even with people bitching I stuck around and this place has turned into an invaluable tool.
It's even convinced me to ditch the crossovers and run 4 way active...even though I don't have a clue what I'm doing tuning wise to this day. lol
I can relate lol. Plus I got tired of upgrading my upgrades so I decided to go big.

Once I went active it took me 3 months just to get back to where I was with the passives.

It's a great forum, I try not to mention the brand too much and in return people don't give me too much crap anymore. I've always wanted to hear the KRX3s. My friend bought a set for his Porsche 951 and then sold it so I never got to hear them.

Also, you don't need all of that hp. What good is it anyway? Wait, that's from another forum. lol

·
Registered
514 Posts
I would be screwed if I really cared what people think. I just do what I like and put in my car what I think will work based on what I learn here. I really don't care what the cost is, I will spend what I think is acceptable... not what someone else thinks is acceptable. You would not believe the amount of equipment I have right now because I have been buying and trying.

I love this forum and would hate to think people are that judgmental. We are all here to learn, share what we have learned and talk to people that share the same crazy obsession.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I know how some folks here hate on high end speakers. I'm not one of them. I had a $1500 3 way set in 99. People thought I was crazy but I got them for $500 & I loved their sound. My buddies would see the price at a shop & fall out. I built my last system on a hard budget. I've been out of work from 08 to the middle of this year. I got by with a couple of part time gigs. I heard the 6.5 Anarchy's in a friends ride. He had replaced a much higher priced mid with them. They fit my price range & still impress me. I put a Phoenix Gold MS 275 on them last week. They work great with this amp. I would love a set of Focals like Unbroken has for my F250. They are great sounding speakers but out of my budget. The people who hate on high end speakers probably can't hear the difference anyway.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
I went from really expensive midranges/tweeters to somewhat cheaper DIY drivers. In some cases you get what you pay for, in some other cases you don't. Nowadays I try find 3rd party tech reviews with measurements, if you know what to look for in distortion plots you can find speakers you like.

Visaton AL200 have the cleanest midbass I've ever heard, running DLS Iridium 8i now since they go lower. Tried out Peerless HDS aswell, great speakers too. Seas H1208-08 works good if you wanna build an enclosure for them.

Tweeters I've tried are DLS Gothia 1/DLS Iridium 1/DLS Nobelium 1/DLS Scandinavia 1/Vifa DX25/DynAudio Esotar2 110/Seas T25CF001. The Vifa DX25 was a pleasant suprise since I bought them for 50$/pair and actually worked better in my setup than most of the other tweeters. Definitely the best sounding tweeter I've had in that price range ;)

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think that distortion plots only tell you about the distortion. They won't tell you about the warmth of a given speaker or its ability to blend with your other speakers, or just the way they "sound". Measurements tell you a lot, just not those intangibles that only your ear can tell you. You never know until you listen. I will bet that there are many speakers that will out "test" speakers from Dynaudio. They just don't have the same sound. Try and test that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts