DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally going to try learning all this active crossover mumbo jumbo. So I need a 30ishx2 tweeter amp for around $75 to experiment with. I don't mind older used stuff if you think the SQ is worth buying something used. So a list of amps I should be on the lookout for would be helpful. I'll be installing the Alpine PXA-H100 in the next few days so that's where my crossovers will come from. And feel free to shoot me a PM with stuff you might have available. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
There are a pile of them, often you can get a pretty good brand because a lot of people don't want the little ones. I've used older alpine and soundstreams with good luck, I mean pre and into early 90s amps. They just had the sound I was looking for, but others can do the job. If you are just screwing around you might as well get a good older amp and should not cost that much. I bought a SS 302 rubicon for 75 shipped in maybe 9 condition with the wire cover, and that was before the economy trashed. But that would be pretty beefy for tweeters. Back in the day we used SS D60 often, I've used various older alpines and some others but not run three way for a while. I ran the highs in my car a couple years ago with a 2x40 1980s alpine, sounded great far as SQ but have to use a rca to din patch to run it and no gain control on the amp, lol, it is not even bridgeable and runs hot. I bought another one for $5 for a spare, nobody wants them.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I'm finally going to try learning all this active crossover mumbo jumbo. So I need a 30ishx2 tweeter amp for around $75 to experiment with. I don't mind older used stuff if you think the SQ is worth buying something used. So a list of amps I should be on the lookout for would be helpful. I'll be installing the Alpine PXA-H100 in the next few days so that's where my crossovers will come from. And feel free to shoot me a PM with stuff you might have available. Thanks.
Why is everyone PMing you instead of posting here on the thread?

I have a mint PPI Sedona 430ix for sale. I could do it for $60.00 shipped. Not only is it an incredible SQ amp, it is also collectible. The amp is white, pristine condition inside and out and get this, it is rated at 30 x 4 @ 4 ohms measured @ 12 volts. Very underrated, it actually does closer to 40/45 x 4 when run @ 13.8 volts which is the norm for any vehicles stock electrical system. You can use the 4 channels as a 2 channel by bridging it, which will give you more than double the power, or you can use it as a 4 channel and power 4 drivers with an active crossover. The possibilities are endless and for this price, you will not find old school quality A/B power, pure SQ especially in this condition.

I also have an OS Fosgate Punch DSM60ix which is an incredible amp. That amp could power an entire system as I have seen it do. It is also a collectible. That one I can do for $50.00 shipped. Finish looks rough but has both end caps which is rare, most people lose them and when they try to sell you an amp that has them, they want top dollar.

I also have a Lightning audio which is made by Fosgate, it is a flea market brand but it sounds good, distortion is .01% and it does a legit 85 x 2. I tested that amp out on a comp set with passive XOs and was surprised at how good it sounded. That amp is BNIB I can do it for $50.00 shipped, that's half what its worth and its brand new in it's original box with bass knob (for what its worth)..

Last but not least, I have yet another OS collectible amp, it is the Autotek Mean Machine BTS model 44. It is one mean amp and sounds killer, is a collectible, 1 ohm stable and will also power an entire sub section as I have seen it done. The system it was powering had 4- 10 JBLs with a sensitivity of 97DBs each, ported box and it sounded incredible considering this amp is 6" x 8" tiny. It is in good condition and I am hoping to get $100 for it, but I am open to suggestions. Just becasue it powered 4 10s doesnt mean that it won't gently, cleanly power a pair of tweeters without harming them. At 1 ohm it gets pretty powerful, @ 4 ohms it will be perfect for tweeters..

All these amps will work nicely on tweets, mids and midbass, even subs depending on the driver and enclosure..

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Darn. If I had known about those a few weeks ago, I would've taken one or two off your hands.

OP: Those are some very nice options to consider. For your application, I would be inclined towards the PPI

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.