DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, I got a good deal on one of these amps. It's in great shape. However, all I can find online is some basic information. I found the manual and a few basic stats. I plan to use it for my mids and highs.

S/N ratio 110db

THD .05%

Those numbers look great to me for sq. They should be impressive, the MSRP was $750 in 1999.

Usually I can find some info on old school amps, but I can't find anything on this amp.

I hope this doesn't mean that the amp was unpopular because it sucked.

Any info about this amp or Kenwood amps in general would help.

It's weird. I keep ending up with Kenwood amps. Got one in a used car I bought. Used it for mids and highs for years. Had a 4 channel with 2 dead channels given to me. Got a killer open box deal at best buy on a tiny 4 channel that I finally got rid of. It was not a good amp for many reasons.

Is someone out there trying to tell me to look at Kenwood amps?

·
Registered
560 Posts

I’ve used these amps (501f and 401m) for many years in few different installs. The amps are powerful, clean, and packed with features. The only down side to these amps is that they have a pretty large footprint.

The 501f has plenty of power...at one point I had it running my front end that consisted of Morel Elate 5inch components in the dash and Morel Elate 9’s in the doors. The 401m was pushing a TC Sound TC3k15 and later a TC LMS12...neither amp had any trouble driving these speakers.

Unfortunately one of the channels of my 501f started cutting out. I still have both amps and would love to find someone to repair the 501f...once repaired I will be using the pair as my test bench/shop music setup in my garage.

Excellent amps...they didn’t really catch on because a lot of people scoff at the Kenwood name not realizing the quality that went into some of their products.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
View attachment 300194
View attachment 300195

I’ve used these amps (501f and 401m) for many years in few different installs. The amps are powerful, clean, and packed with features. The only down side to these amps is that they have a pretty large footprint.

The 501f has plenty of power...at one point I had it running my front end that consisted of Morel Elate 5inch components in the dash and Morel Elate 9’s in the doors. The 401m was pushing a TC Sound TC3k15 and later a TC LMS12...neither amp had any trouble driving these speakers.

Unfortunately one of the channels of my 501f started cutting out. I still have both amps and would love to find someone to repair the 501f...once repaired I will be using the pair as my test bench/shop music setup in my garage.

Excellent amps...they didn’t really catch on because a lot of people scoff at the Kenwood name not realizing the quality that went into some of their products.
Thank you for sharing your information about these amps with me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts