DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just got a 2003 Buick LeSabre from my grandfather after my grandmother passed away. They car is in amazing condition, only 33K miles! But, I swear the factor sound system was onl designed to play AM radio! So, I need a complete system, HU, amp, speakers (components) and woofers, the whole shebang. I don't need bargain basement, but I also can't afford a McIntosh amp. ;) I just looked through Crutchfield, but they don't even list HUs and only list rear deck speaker options. Anybody have suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys! I haven't been here in a while, but I'm glad to be back!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, I really need some help here. I am confused as to what my options even are. The only reciever that Crutchfield list as fitting is the Parrot Asteroid, which is smaller than a standard reciever. Is there nothing else that will fit? Picking amps and components are pointless if I can't even get a reciever.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Metra may make dash kit for your vehicle. I would start there.

Other components you need depend on your budget, goals and installation experience.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, my goals are nice even sound quality. I listen to just about everything, so I don't need/want tremendous bass. I was thinking an 8" woofer. I mostly use an iPod as my music source. I know it's not the best, but it's the most convenient. So, I was thinking a decently optioned reciever with EQ, 2 components sets, a 5 channel amp for ease of installation and saving space, and a small woofer to fill in the lower end. Trunk space is important because I have 3 small children, so diaper bags and strollers are part of my daily life.

I just want my music to sound nice, and everytime I have gotten the cheap stuff from big box stores I have been dissapointed. I want to do it right this time.

·
Registered
920 Posts
The car takes 5.25's in the front and 6x9's in the back. If it is equipped with tweeters they are 1"

Crutchfield lists the depth for a HU at only a little over 5". I remember the various dash kit makers making kits that had a noisepiece that allowed a standard DIN radio to stick out from the dash, not pretty, but at least then you can replace what's in there without modifying what's behind it.

I would nix components in the rear. A pair of coaxials is all you'd need.

What's your budget for the whole thing?

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,382 Posts
For a HU you should be able to fit just about any single or double DIN unit.

The Custom came with 4 speakers while the Limited came with 6, depending upon the model and how much work you are willing to do you should be able to fit most 6.5" component sets in the front doors while the rears can handle a simple coax if you want rear speakers. For a budget set I have read good things about the Massive Audio RK6's(I think that is the model), the Alpine Type R's, JBL GTO's or the JL Audio C2's. All would be great to start and give you a foundation to build upon.

Sub would be whatever you want and can afford, everyone has their own taste and opinion on them. Go to a local brick and mortar and listen, look at construction and quality and go from there.

For an amp I would suggest either a JL600/6 six channel, it gives you the ability to go active down the road if you so choose but is affordable and bridgable to do what you want to do now. The other would be an Image Dynamics i5800, or on Parts Express the Aura 5350, the BEST value for your dollar on the net right now that is BNIB.

Again, everyone wants something different but with what little you have given this is where I would start.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was looking at the RK6s that a member is selling on here. I suppose for now, I could just leave the rear speakers and use that money else where in the system. I would probably say around $1000 is my goal, -ish. The Aura looks nice for my budget. And, after all, this is only a Buick. ;) So, that narrows it down to HU then. What are some good budget suggestions? Alpine CDA-117?

·
Registered
920 Posts
I like the Alpines because then you always have the $150 option of adding the imprint kit to get all the nice tuning features.

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,382 Posts
I like the Alpines because then you always have the $150 option of adding the imprint kit to get all the nice tuning features.
X2 ^^^^^. Dont be fooled by the price tag of the Aura or the numbers, its a way over built under rated amp. There is a thread about it in the Hot Deals section.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, so, right now I'm looking at the Alpine CDA-117, going to an Aura 5350 to power a set of RK6s. Now just need to find a decent deal on a little 8, or maybe a 10. Then I get to build a box and wire this bish up! Oh, and I will work on sound deadening once I drive the car a little more and figure out what the weak points are.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, and who is the best/cheapest place to pick up wiring from? Amp kits, speaker wire, that kinda stuff.

·
Registered
920 Posts
If you're already going to be ordering from Parts Express, you might as well just buy an RSS265HO-4

:D

For Wire: Knuconceptz.com, Darvex.com ...This kit at sonicelectronix is a great deal right now, but certainly overkill for you at this stage. If you have any thoughts about possibly upgrading in the future though it wouldn't be a bad investment now.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
If you're already going to be ordering from Parts Express, you might as well just buy an RSS265HO-4

:D

For Wire: Knuconceptz.com, Darvex.com ...This kit at sonicelectronix is a great deal right now, but certainly overkill for you at this stage. If you have any thoughts about possibly upgrading in the future though it wouldn't be a bad investment now.
I was looking at the Dayton dub, and it looks like the Aura amp would be severly underpowering it. I mean, it looks like I could do 150W x 2 for the front components and 200W for the sub, but the RMS on the Dayton is 600W. So, gotta look for something a little tamer I suppose.

Like these?
Tang Band W8-740P
or
Dayton Audio DCS205-4

1 - 14 of 14 Posts