DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, demon just gave me this idea in another thread inadvertantly, but in my car, a midrange is out of the question without some serious custok work, and I really only have room for a 1.5 " tweet in my stock locations, which are about dash level.

what do you guys think about having a good "low end" tweet that excels at the midrange (maybe up to 10K or so and rolls off), but lacks the high end detail located in my stock location, and then adding a sort of "super tweet" like the small planar ribbon mentioned in the "All smiles!" thread to take over at high end (mounted in my a-pillar or front of the dash as an ambient tweet)?

Has anyone ever tried this and is this even a good idea compared to just trying to get a good single tweet? Seems like with the ambient tweet you could expand the sound stage.....

Whaduya think experts? Thanks for the input regardless :>)

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Do you have doors? or kickpanels? That would be a good place to start with for installing midrange, even a 2 or 3" driver would work. Heck I have even seen those installed into the Apillars...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Could you do a 2" or 3" mid in that location and then put a tweeter in the a-pillar. You would still be lacking in midbass and have to put a 6" in the kickpanel or in the door.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh yea, forgot to mention, I'll have 7" midwoofers in the doors.....this is just for my top end.....

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
xencloud said:
oh yea, forgot to mention, I'll have 7" midwoofers in the doors.....this is just for my top end.....
You should be okay then. If you can fit a 2" or 3" mid in the stock location and put a tweeter in the a-pillar, that would be a pretty good 3-way setup. You'll probably want to go active so that you can play with the crossover points.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure if a 2" would fit at all, I'd have to check.........what's a good 2" driver with shallow depth? (basically, it would have to be a tweeter! :>)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
xencloud said:
I'm not sure if a 2" would fit at all, I'd have to check.........what's a good 2" driver with shallow depth? (basically, it would have to be a tweeter! :>)
Check out Parts Express. They have some 2" and 3" dome midranges. I'm not sure what is good and what's not though.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, in my setup, I'm looking at:

7" mid ~2K and down
midrange biased tweet ~ 2k-10K or so
and then the ambient tweet placed way forward in the dash or a-pillar for ~10k and up

I figured this might just sound good because the planar ribbon does really well on the high end, and then there's several tweets people have mentioned on this sight that have a great midrange, but suffer past 10K a lot, like some of the SS tweets maybe?

Any suggestions are very MUCH appreciated...

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright, nom looking for a compact mid, or larger tweet now, here's my needs:

Needs to be no larger than 3-4" mounting diameter and not that deep
usable and efficient from 2-3K hz to 9-10K hz

Any suggestions guys? Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts