DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ya'll.
I realize there are some threads that touch on this topic but i was wondering if anyone has specifically tried to rig an old car like I am trying to.
First, I have a '58 volkswagen bug that has a 65 amp alternator and upgraded to a 12volt from the original 6v. I will probably get a secondary power supply, are there any that you would suggest?
Second, I am trying to run my iPod directly into my amp as to avoid installing a head unit in my dash, because it is gorgeous and I cannot justify cutting it up. I need to amplify the line into the amp, should I get a preamp or would a line driver be sufficient?
I dont plan on running any subwoofers as it would likely be overkill in that tin can. Please help! Thnks.

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
FullRangeDriver.com

This website is dedicated to full-range driver loudspeakers such as Lowther, Fostex, Diatone etc. These loudspeakers try to cover the major frequency span of human voice and common musical instruments without a crossover to another driver. The website also covers wide-band drivers, those that try to cover most of the frequency span and only rely on another driver at the extremes usually either a supertweeter or a subwoofer. Horn loudspeakers are also featured. Some horn solutions help extend full-range drivers, and other horns attempt to cover a wide frequency range with one or more drivers.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/bosch-alternators/p2018615.jcwx?filterid=c1579d14371j1

This is a Custom Fit Product designed to fit or work with specific vehicles. Tell us what you drive and we'll determine if this product is guaranteed to fit or work with your vehicle.

* Bosch Alternators deliver amperage output up to 200 amps, while also providing maximum available amperage at low engine RPM
* Very high output, high capacity alternators for a wide variety of sport compact vehicles, including the most popular Asian imports
* High output available on certain models.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Check out the JL Audio CL-RLC for preamp level control of the iPod into the amp. All that's visible is a little volume knob.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I drive a 1980 Datsun 280ZX and it currently has a 65amp alternator as well, but I'm ordering a direct bolt-in 220amp with 135amp at idle from MechMan. It doesn't seem like you'd be able to run a very powerful amp off of your current alternator.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Awesome ride! I've restored 2 VW Bugs...a '73 & my beloved '66. I put a system in the '66 which was also converted to 12v from 6v ('66 last year for 6v) and I too could not bring myself to do a thing to that dash nor eliminate that original AM radio. So, I put a HU in the glovebox, I put MB Quart 6.5" components in the doors. Don't remember what brand but I had two truck boxes with 8's, mids, & tweets all in each box that I dropped in the luggage compartment in the back. I amped the boxes with a Nakamichi 30Wx2 & the Quarts with an Alpine 30x2. Doesn't sound like much but to be honest it sounded great. Sold that thing when I got married & have been kicking myself ever since.

·
Human (not a robot)
2,369 Posts
It sounds like you need something like the JL XD series of amps. They are tiny and full range class D (basically) and are super efficient.
Their are other brands that have the same features as the JL so be on the lookout for full range class D.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts