DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ell, i had a TINY bit of whine with my my last ground, it was two different wires just screwed into the floor.

I cleaned up some wires today and redid my ground, I drilled through the floorboard, scraped all the paint off, and have one common ground for the two amps.

I secured a big ass bolt with two hex nuts, and thought it was a great ground.

Boy was I wrong, I now have some NASTY whine through my speakers.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? I thought by upgrading my ground, I'd lose the noise, but it got worse.

·
Registered
175 Posts
what other wires did you clean up?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really just my power and ground, everything else is pretty neat already.

·
Registered
175 Posts
so you didn't cross any rca's in the cleanup? even nearer the headunit side, sometimes things can get 2 close with out you knowing.

other than that, sometimes doing a ground run from the alt to the chassis will help out alt whine.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so you didn't cross any rca's in the cleanup? even nearer the headunit side, sometimes things can get 2 close with out you knowing.

other than that, sometimes doing a ground run from the alt to the chassis will help out alt whine.

I didnt touch anything near the head unit at all, just below my seats.

I went back and checked all my RCA's and nothing seems to be crossed. I did tinker with my ground while the car was on/music was playing, and the alternator whine kind of flickered/got softer, louder, so I'm assuming it is my ground.

If I can't figure it out, I'm gonna do a direct run of ground from my battery. Is that a bad Idea?

·
Registered
175 Posts
hmm. i wouldn't do that. you may just need to change your grounding spot, oh and have you done your big 3 already?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured it out this morning, the RCA's that were plugged into my Midbass amp were the ones making noise. I unplugged them, and no noise. I'm gonna replace them this week.

·
Registered
475 Posts
did you try another set of RCA's first?, could be coming from the h/u, or amp

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I figured it out this morning, the RCA's that were plugged into my Midbass amp were the ones making noise. I unplugged them, and no noise. I'm gonna replace them this week.
Unplugging a set of RCAs and having noise vanish doesn't mean that the RCAs are causing the noise. Nine out of ten times, there is a ground loop, and unplugging the RCAs breaks the look - but your next set of RCAs will have the same loop.

Without knowing the system layout, can't say for sure, but how does your HU ground compare to the amp ground?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts