DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I have a pair of Focal Polyglass mids that were pulled out of a Viper before the owner sold it. My grandfather said he had some 'stereo crap' in his garage and that I could have it so he didn't have to throw it away. So I wander out there thinking it wouldn't be anything to get excited about. Found a big box full of wiring(some nice wiring too), a Kenwood flipout screen H/U, and then spotted a crossover. Pulled it out and it said Focal on it. Then, in two separate little boxes were the Polyglass 6.5" Mids.

They're in great condition, not even any cosmetic damage. I checked them with my fluke, coils appeared fine. I wanted to test them out but didn't have any real way to amp them. So I'm wondering if they are worth hanging on to or selling. I think I have both crossovers in the box, but it looks like the vehicle owner didn't pull the tweets. Would these be of any use to maybe someone running active? If so, what would be a fair price to ask for them? I don't mind giving someone on the forum a good deal but I'd like to at least know what they are worth. I'd hang on to them if I had plans to install any audio in my new car in the near future but I'm pretty short on money and probably will be for some time so I won't get to play with them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
As the title says, I have a pair of Focal Polyglass mids that were pulled out of a Viper before the owner sold it. My grandfather said he had some 'stereo crap' in his garage and that I could have it so he didn't have to throw it away. So I wander out there thinking it wouldn't be anything to get excited about. Found a big box full of wiring(some nice wiring too), a Kenwood flipout screen H/U, and then spotted a crossover. Pulled it out and it said Focal on it. Then, in two separate little boxes were the Polyglass 6.5" Mids.

They're in great condition, not even any cosmetic damage. I checked them with my fluke, coils appeared fine. I wanted to test them out but didn't have any real way to amp them. So I'm wondering if they are worth hanging on to or selling. I think I have both crossovers in the box, but it looks like the vehicle owner didn't pull the tweets. Would these be of any use to maybe someone running active? If so, what would be a fair price to ask for them? I don't mind giving someone on the forum a good deal but I'd like to at least know what they are worth. I'd hang on to them if I had plans to install any audio in my new car in the near future but I'm pretty short on money and probably will be for some time so I won't get to play with them.
Don't even waste your time with them, just ship them to me and I will get rid of them for you.:D

They are a good set of mids to have for free. If you have both mids, tweets and x-overs you have found yourself a nice front stage.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Those Polyglass speakers are decent, especially for free. I think I'd rather have some Polyglass mids than the old (and more expensive) Polykevlar ones that warped.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,287 Posts
Are they the v1 or v2? The v2 has the phaseplug.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
That's cool. Honestly, if you have any intention of doing work on your own stereo, I would hold onto them at least long enough to audition them for yourself whenever you get to it.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,287 Posts
I'm happy with my polyglass v1 mids. Just make sure the doors are sealed so they can have something to load off of. They like to bottom out early just flapping in the breeze.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are they the v1 or v2? The v2 has the phaseplug.
I think I remember seeing something like 6v2 on the back plate and I'm pretty sure they have phase plugs. I'm at work so I can't look at them right now. I would love to use these some how, but I can't even think about starting a project on my car for a few months. I thought about sticking them in my Jetta just to see if the sound changes but I don't know the crossover frequency for the stock speakers, the wattage or even the impedance. If I had the tweeters I would probably just hook them up to a small amp and see how they sound. But I don't have the means to try them without.

So, if anyone thinks they could get some use out of them, make me an offer and PM your address and I'll look up how much they would cost to ship. I'll try to take some pics of them when I get home. I'd love to keep them around because I'm a horrible pack rat but I already have 4 amps, 4 subs, assorted coaxials and drivers/crossover for a center channel project I haven't started all strewn around my computer room.

Mods - I guess this sort of turned into a WTS sell thread, if I need to move let me know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you know the model # of the kenwood flip out?
No, sorry. I can't remember what model it was but my friend was having trouble with the screen in his truck(a JVC EXAD something or other) so I gave it to him. It had DVD somewhere in the model name.

·
Registered
411 Posts
If their in good shape and you have both crossovers I'll give you $100

·
Registered
491 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts