DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

New car had factory navigation double-din unit. I am replacing it with a single din fold-out that does everything the factory did and putting my HU from my previous car in the other half.

My question is: the factory unit used a square-shaped GPS antenna connector, but my aftermarket uses a round GPS antenna connector. I'd really prefer not to go through the extra work of installing the antenna that came with my aftermarket navigation if I can find a way to use the stock antenna. I was wondering if they made adapters for this sort of thing? I tried a google search but didn't find anything.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hey all,

New car had factory navigation double-din unit. I am replacing it with a single din fold-out that does everything the factory did and putting my HU from my previous car in the other half.

My question is: the factory unit used a square-shaped GPS antenna connector, but my aftermarket uses a round GPS antenna connector. I'd really prefer not to go through the extra work of installing the antenna that came with my aftermarket navigation if I can find a way to use the stock antenna. I was wondering if they made adapters for this sort of thing? I tried a google search but didn't find anything.

Thanks.
Post pics

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First two are aftermarket connectors.

Second two are stock connectors.

Basically, picture 4 needs to plug into picture 1.

I need an adapter to look like picture 3 (accepting picture 4) on one end and the other end to be like picture 2 (plugging into picture 1).

It's night time, sorry for darkness.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
First two are aftermarket connectors.

Second two are stock connectors.

I need a part to be like picture 3 (accepting picture 4) on one end and the other end to be like picture 1 (plugging into picture 2).

It's night time, sorry for darkness.
Man, just stick the GPS antenna behind or under the head unit.

That's what I did.

I have my GPS antenna and wires behind the AC/HEAT knobs. No problems at all.

Then you don't have to run the wires anywhere.

Try it. Power it on and just put the antenna in the glove box and with no direct access to the satellites.

I think you are underestimating the strength of GPS.

·
Registered
216 Posts
You can make the adapter yourself if you want.

Bring the aftermarket antenna to radioshack and see if you can find a similar "male" plug, as well as a female plug that fit your factory antenna. Buy the cable (I'm guessing its a regular coax, or any radio antenna cable).

Failing that, you can cut the round male plug and solder the square male plug from your aftermarket. This is riskier, but its pretty straight forward. Since its only an antenna, there's no polarity in the wiring.

Actually, what 96jimmyslt is even more simple, just run the aftermarket antenna somewhere and it will work fine.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a center channel speaker in the dash. The grille is much larger than the speaker behind it. I bet I can fit the end of the antenna in there with little effort. Thanks for the advice guys.

Just realized I made a typo in post title. Oops.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts