DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I install my gps antenna (Alpine INE-w957hd) inside the dash or does it need to on the top of dash or roof. Of course I want to hide it but I want it to work. What can I get away with?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have fitted gps aerials inside roof linings, the whole it needs to see the sky thing is a thing... until you actually fit a gps aerial in a roof lining and it still works, takes longer to pick up a signal in some cases but once it has a lock it definitely works just as well as one that sees the sky from a dash top or wherever...

And yes I do it for a job (all police cars have a fleet tracker installed), and yes I have seen data on a laptop that says it performs the exact same way as a skyward one, and yes I was insistent it wouldn’t work for weeks before I went on the course and saw the actual data... and yes I thought the guy doing the course was gonna get show up...

So yes under the top of a dashboard is fine 👍🏼 And works just as well as on top despite what common gps guidance says and states

·
Registered
97 Posts
Inside the dash as parallel to the ground as possible and preferably on top of metal brace/support. Works just fine.

·
Listener of Music
2,750 Posts
The magnetic plates they come with make a difference. Use it. I've been putting them on dash's for 20 years with great results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts