DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any and all advise on installing a Python 872 security system into my Grand Am (2003).
I plan to get the FLCAN module from crutchfield and install from there.
Looking for some tips on where to place the horn, the brain box and how to run the wires.
I have a decent amount of experience with cars electrical systems from wiring a few stereos, but non with a security system.
I was told Python is one of the harder to install systems out there, so I am looking for some tips or tricks from those who know their stuff.
Looking to get this done before it gets to cold to work with my hands.

Thanks for all the help, if you need any info please let me know.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
python is made by directed. no harder than viper.

horn goes under the hood. usually sticking it on the firewall is sufficient.

brain should go up high under drivers side dash. Take the speedo out if you want to get really high up and "secure" it better.

figure out where each wire is going. Group together, tape them together and run them. Splice in/cut where necessary and use solder and tape! do not use vampire taps or quick connects. There is a chance you will sever the factory wiring.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
python is made by directed. no harder than viper.

horn goes under the hood. usually sticking it on the firewall is sufficient.

brain should go up high under drivers side dash. Take the speedo out if you want to get really high up and "secure" it better.

figure out where each wire is going. Group together, tape them together and run them. Splice in/cut where necessary and use solder and tape! do not use vampire taps or quick connects. There is a chance you will sever the factory wiring.
I do not know how to solder....
Any other methods?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Solder is the number one best way to go. Use this project as an excuse to learn how to solder. For alarms or remote starters I prefer a high wattage solder gun. I think mine is 110w.

For ultimate security you would buy split loom and vinyl tubing to match what's already under your dash and all your new wires get hidden within it. Even a thief wouldn't be able to see where the car ends and your system starts.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, so basically, the loom would go over the wires of both my car and the security system?
Does anyone have an experience with the FLCAN?
I tried looking up a few of their install methods, but they seemed to be a bit hard to read on a computer. I really would like to use the FLCAN module to make the install easier, but I want to make sure it is worth while.....
Vehicle is an 03 Grand Am V6.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The "stealth" look would have you put loom over all your security wires and this loom would overlap with loom on the factory wires, giving the appearance of continous looms as opposed to a factory loom that has just been cut open and attached to. You don't need to reloom all the factory wires nearby, just overlap a bit and use black tape, or zip ties--whatever is closest to what the factory used. This method is actually kind of overkill, but could be fun.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, I can grab some loom, my vehicle used a cloth like tape over almost all of my wires. I think my local carquest has rolls of that.

Now, on to the larger questions.
I looked up the FLCAN, it seems my install type is install type 1 of the program FLD-AL(DL)-GM1
I was wondering if anyone could elaborate the meanings of the line types.
e.g:solid,dahed, etc.
Also, if anyone wanted to comment on a good place to put the module in conjunction with the actual brain of the system.
Also, does anyone know roughly how many wires I will have to solder once the module is installed?
I plan to stop over to lowes today and see what I can get for a decent solderer.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, is there anything extra I need to look into doing aside from just the simple wiring and the setup of the alarm?
I read in one post about resisters and such, not sure if the FLCAN takes care of this or not....
I just know that it takes care of most of the hard wiring.

·
Registered
148 Posts
on the grand ams, if i remember correctly, the ignition wires can be accessed right behind the radio.

few tips from past experience... sometimes the door locks off the bypass dont work.. i had several instances when the idatalink modules would not respond to it. worst case, its a single wire in the drivers kickpanel, need relays and resistors to make it work.
2) the quickest and easiest place to get the parking lights will be in the passenger kickpanel...brown wire i think.
3) splice and solder.!!! best and most secure way of doing a proper install... you can get away with splice and wrapping the wire, but i dont recommend it.
4) you can actually hide the module right behind the dash panel when you access the ign wires... i've been able to hide it close to behind the glove box, where its easily accessible in case of programming and well hidden to keep it away from anybody else.

good luck.!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts