DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have lurked on this forum for awhile now so I figure it is time to share some. I am working on putting together a build which will encompass a rear custom amp rack and enclosure. So far I have been working on the amp rack. I am going to catch you guys up with threads I have started on other forums so I will be doing some copy pasting, but I love to hear your comments!

Amps on the left and right, Processor in the middle. The white plexi is going to be for wires to run through from the audio processor. The rest from the amps will go to the left and right of the amp rack.

I need some opinions. I was going to wrap the entire assembly in black vinyl and do all the inserts under the equuipment in black suede but I am re thinking it. I am thinking about doing plexi under all three of the major pieces of equipment back lit red. My question is should I go that route and if so should I show the edges of the plexi or sink it in with the body filler / foam tape trick???

Like my speaker adapter? Made it myself, flush trimmed the original shape and then circle routered the new speaker size.

Here is some fiberglass laid on the amp rack, there are so many curves I only really need one thick layer and it is strong.

Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I got it all done, here are the pics:

Foam tape around the inserts to allow for vinyl and suede gap:

Insert made with body filler:

This area was a pain in the butt to get right...

Same here:

Vinyl Wrapped:

Everything else wrapped:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I think it came out real nice. Now I just have to wait for my wire to get here and start that part of the build...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh btw I must add the rage gold is amazing. I had bought the extreme before as I expected it would be better than the gold. While it might be better for a painting application I have to say for something like this where pin holes are not a factor I was able to sand and get my curves in record time.

Everything you see here took me about 3 hours in filling and sanding time. No power tools. Of course I made sure I was attentive and sanded in the green stage in order to knock down the high areas easily but regardless this stuff works amazingly.

I am definitely more confident about taking on more curvy jobs that require wrapping now that I know how quickly I can accomplish it effectively.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so after a lot of debating between the BL and the Q I decided to get an 12" FI BL. I took advantage of their black Friday deal for all the free options. Can't wait to get the beast. This leads to my next question:

I am going to do sub forward. This decision will make sense once you see my plans for the entire layout. The question is should I do port forward as well or port up? Keep in mind I have a nice big 6" by 10" hole in the rear deck where the factory amplifier used to reside. If porting up I would shoot directly through this hole. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks real good! I always admire people who can do both woodworking and glassing.
Thank you.

So I have been reading a lot on sub position and aiming and the consensus seems to be that in a normal drop in box example you would want to point the subs backwards. But as I will be pointing the subwoofer forwards and port forwards I will also build a partition sealing off the rest of the trunk. I wanted to do this anyhow for aesthetic reasons. So my setup will be sub forward, port forward, trunk sealed. Seats down. I actually heard a similar set up in a Grand Prix a few years ago and was very impressed.

What do you guys think, I hate to make an awesome enclosure and not be happy with the sound. I am thinking about making a box and trying both ways then building around that...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd definitely advise playing around with your sub and port firing directions. Someone else on here might have some better ideas on how to do that, but I'd get your specs and then use some flexible tubing for your "test" port and that way you can play with forward firing sub/rear firing port, forward firing sub/forward port, forward sub/upward port, etc.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is my plan for the box. I will build it this way so I can try sub forward and sub backward. If I like one more than the other I will just switch the bottom of the box around so that the contour for the amp rack is on the side I want it. I can then proceed with doing my fiberglass fork to add the professionalism to the install.

Note the kerf's :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Holes for the T Nuts

Here it is in car. It will scoot more towards the front of the vehicle, I just need to get some longer power wire to reach the spot where I will be mounting the distribution blocks. This is why they are not mounted yet.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So now that I have my actual subwoofer amp installed today I played around with a previous 12" sub and enclosure. I found sub forward port forward worked much better for general sound quality. When facing the sub back port back I did notice a bit more volume, buteverything in the whole damn car rattles and sounds like garbage.

I am going to continue with sub forward port forward.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts