DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm helping a friend with a party bus and need opinion on what amp(s) we should run. I'm been researching all morning and now my head hurts.

The system will consist of:
8 JL Audio 6x9's (60 watts RMS)
4 12" type R's (duel 4ohm) in a ported box (tuned to around 30hz)

Space won't be an issue for the amps but of course we will need to keep the cost reasonable and the amps will need to be reliable.

Here is what I've come up with just from searching this morning.

For the subs
Kicker ZX2500.1 (one)
RF T2500-1bd cp (one)
Orion XTR 15001 (2 amps)
Soundstream Rubicon 1600d (2 amps)
PPI Sedona S2000.1d (2 amps)

For the 6x9's
RF T600-4
Orion XTR 5004
Soundstream REF4.760
Soundstream Rubicon 4.600
PPI PC640.4

Any other amps I should look at please let me know. What should I be aware of when running some of the larger amps? Power wire and batteries won't be an issue as the batteries will only run the system and charge off of a generator while the bus is moving.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a few pictures to show everyone what im working with. Started deconstruction so the inside looks a little rough but it's nothing more the a few cushions moved around. It's going to be challenging but should be fun as well.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
That's what I call 5 tons o' fun!:eek: Mobile strip club, maybe?:rolleyes:
As far as the amps go, I think the new PPI amps have recieved good reviews and are easy on the budget.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I agree: out of these lists: PPI... or Orion.

I don't trust modern days Soundstream gear, never been a fan of RF and although they try in the good direction I still find Kicker is a brand for high SPL...
A party is no fun if the sound sucks...

PS.: I love projects like these!

·
Registered
4,291 Posts

I don't trust modern days Soundstream gear, never been a fan of RF and although they try in the good direction I still find Kicker is a brand for high SPL...

Same chocolate, different wrapper;)

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I'm helping a friend with a party bus and need opinion on what amp(s) we should run. I'm been researching all morning and now my head hurts.

The system will consist of:
8 JL Audio 6x9's (60 watts RMS)
4 12" type R's (duel 4ohm) in a ported box (tuned to around 30hz)

Space won't be an issue for the amps but of course we will need to keep the cost reasonable and the amps will need to be reliable.

Here is what I've come up with just from searching this morning.

For the subs
Kicker ZX2500.1 (one)
RF T2500-1bd cp (one)
Orion XTR 15001 (2 amps)
Soundstream Rubicon 1600d (2 amps)
PPI Sedona S2000.1d (2 amps)

For the 6x9's
RF T600-4
Orion XTR 5004
Soundstream REF4.760
Soundstream Rubicon 4.600
PPI PC640.4

Any other amps I should look at please let me know. What should I be aware of when running some of the larger amps? Power wire and batteries won't be an issue as the batteries will only run the system and charge off of a generator while the bus is moving.
Does the bus have on-board 120vac available? If so, I'd be looking for used pro-audio amp-rack+ gear.

If not, R-F amps would probably be my 1st pick for a "party enviroment"

·
Registered
94 Posts

Funny thing is ppi and soundstream are the same company

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Yeah, forgot about that, but still means nothing. If it does mean something to me, it would be that PPI is not on my list of trustable brands anymore, so I guess Orion is the only one left of the above lists :p

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Floor to ceiling pole, check!
Black vinyl couches, check!
Blacked out windows, check!
Black lights, check!
Bumpin' system, check!
Neon accented bar, check!
Only one thing missing. Please post pics as soon as the last criteria field is met.
:D:p:D:p:)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think we have decided on two Cadence D250's and a D100.4.

It doesn't have a dedicated 120v system but we will be running inverters for the laser, strobes and black lights. Black lights will frame the pole (as spotted before). The other lighting will be covered by RGB LED's simular to what we used on the smaller bus. I still need to post the build thread for it

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the amps in today but ended up with something different then what I originally had thought. Seems the owner got a good deal on 2 Sundown SAX-1200d's and a Cadence ZRS-C9. I still think we should be ok on power. The 1200D's can be linked together to pull a little over 2100 watts and the C9 will make 160watts x 4 at 2 ohms.

So the 1200D's are stable to a 1ohm load at 1200w or you can link two for a total of 2150w into a 2ohm load.

Should I wire a pair of 12's to each amp at 1ohm or link the two amps togther and wire all 4 for a 2ohm load?

·
Registered
28 Posts
With a bus that big, I would spread the subs out under the seats. Also, if you are using batteries, I would only be going at the relative efficiecy of the amplifiers. The right setup may run twice as long on the same batteries than the wrong one. With 2000+ watts your batteries won't last long.

Also, there are some crazy efficient box designs available it you are up for a more complicated build. The more I think about, this is the perfect application for a huge tapped horn.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will be spacing the subs out under the seats but I'm going to keep them in ported boxes to keep it somewhat simple. We will have an on-board generator that will recharge the batteries (at least 4 to 6 batteries) so I'm not worried about run time.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Do you mean 8 pairs ( 16 total ) or 4 pairs ( 8 total ) on 6x9 speakers ? :D

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I'd go with line array's in a room like that! Top to bottom line array, good efficiency...
Check out this :D
The ultimate party solution... with subs of coarse.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Those are badass but not very practical or cost affective in a party bus environment. We need something that can take a ton of abuse and be easy/economical to replace. That's why 6x9's fit the bill perfectly.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Awesome build! I'd run two Type R's per amp at a 1 ohm load. That party bus is going to be off the hook!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts