DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there are speaker grills that fit the Seas lotus drivers?

In my Jetta I pulled the door grill from the factory out (it was using plastic rivits to hold it in and they would vibrate really bad)

I built some speaker baffles that move the speaker mounting location up to flush with the back of the door covering so I can mount the speakers flush with the door / to the door and baffle. I don't want to have the speaker get wet when the door opens in the rain so putting a grill over it would be a good idea.

Any suggestions?

I should have the speakers mounted shortly so I can post pictures of what I did and you can tell me if it was stupid or not. :)

·
Registered
524 Posts
JohnSmallberries said:
I should have the speakers mounted shortly so I can post pictures of what I did and you can tell me if it was stupid or not. :)
I have the same problem with my VW R32 so pictures of your install would be highly appreciated! Although I planned on using the stock grills for that stealth look.

How thick were the mounting rings that you used?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's what the speakers look like mounted. I built a 2 inch MDF baffle board using two pieces of 3/4 inch MDF and one piece of 1/2 inch MDF. I glued them with liquid nails and then put some dynamat behind the baffle on the metal of the door. This made for a pretty good seal.

http://phatnoise.savageguild.com/files/stereo_install/stereo-install-large-09.jpg
http://phatnoise.savageguild.com/files/stereo_install/stereo-install-large-10.jpg

I still need to clean up the car but the speakers are in and sound pretty good. Need to get my new tweeters installed and do some tuning. Hopefully they will arrive soon!

Remove the jpg file name to see more photos of the work I've done.

·
Registered
206 Posts
JohnSmallberries said:
Nice work

They really look good even uncovered:)
but you're right about getting them wet.
Just don't open the doors when it's raining, lol.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!

Getting them to fit in the 2 inch deep baffles was a real PITA though.

The wiring plugs on those Seas made it very interesting.. i had to use a grinder bit in my all in one cutting tool to dig out a flat spot in the baffles for the plugs to fit..

Oh and I found out that the speaker grill holes in the doors does not line up with the holes in the metal inner door ... its off by about a half inch up and to the left... so it was interesting mounting the speakers, but it works.

Also, due to the extra hard mount point to the inner door by the speaker and it being outside the door I noticed a HUGE drop in the door vibration for the door pannel.

A nice unexpected bonus I must say.

·
Registered
524 Posts
JohnSmallberries said:
Oh and I found out that the speaker grill holes in the doors does not line up with the holes in the metal inner door ... its off by about a half inch up and to the left... so it was interesting mounting the speakers, but it works.
Since I basically have the same door panel on my VW R32, do you think I can mount my Adire 6.8's to the inner door panel and them work behind the stock grill?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I don't know the demensions on that driver.. You could perhaps build a baffle that will support the face of it but I don't know about depth etc.

The window is very close to the speaker opening when it is rolled all the way down.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm sorry. I did not make myself clear. I am not worried about the dimentions of the driver. If I use a deep baffle like you did I will be alright regarding depth. I just wanted to know will it work out if I choose to mate the face of my driver to the back side of the stock grill to keep a stealth look.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, you'll need to have enough clearance for the drivers excursion, so you couldn't make it the full 2 inch size I did or you could run into issues with the speaker rubbing on the back of the door which would
a. sound like crap.
b. maybe damage the speaker.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Exactly. I figured maybe a total of 1.5" baffle with some clay used as a gasket. It just doesn't sound like from your install that it would work because of the non-alignment issue.

How did you work around that exactly? I may have to do the same thing. :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, if you are not touching the back side of the door, its not really an issue for the mounting, but you will be loosing some sound energy into the door.

Now on your car the door may line up better, I don't know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts