DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today ran the 0gauge to go to my distro block.... All went well except kind of a large problem... I wasnt able to route the wires the way I had originally planned on and the backup spot I can only access from one side. So in a rush so I could get a movie for the night I went ahead and fished the wire through the left fender to a hole(that had a plug in it) the was behind the left kick panel. So now I am stuck trying to figure out how to seal this hole. My car is an 02 civic si. I am wanting to avoid taking the wire back out of the car if possible.

Any grommets that can be put on from only one side then shoved through the hole? If not any grommets that can be snapped on and then have a matching piece on the other side?

Or just any sealant that i could just line the hole with? The gap around the wire is about 1/8th. If so what type of sealant?

My last resort is going to be taking out the plastic from the wheel well and running a standard screw on type... but seriously dreading that.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
My last resort is going to be taking out the plastic from the wheel well and running a standard screw on type... but seriously dreading that

Thats your best bet and the safest way. Plus you don't have to worry about the sheet metal cutting into your wire down the road.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably right.. have had my fun with tearing my car apart for the week though but if it rains im going to be very unhappy as water runs in so Ill check with my local shops about a grommet... probably should be grabbing a large unibit also incase the hole is too small for both...

·
Registered
230 Posts
while you are there, just pay them to completely redo it lol. nothing more uneasy feeling than power wire not ran correctly.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not worried about it being run incorrectly. Just usually I can find a spot that I can route a wire through without having to resort to a new hole so first time things did not go as planned when I was routing things.

So called up my local audio shop and they are horrible by the way and do not carry anything like what I was wanting(the screw on type) and was wondering if anyone knew of any other places to check? Like is this something that an electrical supply company would carry but would call it by a different name than a screw on grommet?

Just to give you an idea of how bad my local shop is they can actually screw up a head unit install using a wiring harness or for one of my friends drilled into a gas line when installing an amp... I would let them touch my car about as quickly as I would let my girlfriend install my camshafts that I have not got around to doing yet. There is no chance.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the final result was calling every stereo shop within 50 miles and no one has a screw on type grommet that I am looking for. Also tried the electrical supply shops and none had the right size... either too small of a hole or too big.

I ended up going with a pvc valve grommet that fits the hole and wire perfectly. I used silicone sealant around the edges of the grommet and the wire. After it dries I am sliding the plastic conduit over the rest of the wire and taping it off to the grommet. I did not use any silicone on the interior side of the grommet.... Thinking about it but wanted to avoid the smell in my car if possible.

If anyone can see any reason why this would not work please let me know or a way to improve it(instead of getting the screw on type).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts