DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'll make this simple with no details, but I have had a system (it IS my first so I'm still learning things) in my car for a month or two that my friend and I installed. I'm getting very frustrated with one particular ground wire that I have attached under a bolt on my driver's side front door. It always either isn't secure or just keeps breaking. And it's a serious issue because I'm worried that it might happen one day while I'm actually using the system. Is there a REALLY good, specific way to make sure this can never happen? Because I'm not sure why it doesn't stay put. I screw it in under the bolt using a socket wrench every time, and I always make sure it's nice and tight. But sure enough, it either came out or broke again (haven't taken the bolt out yet to see if there's a piece of it under there). I make sure to give the wire plenty of slack to move with the door, too, meaning when I open it. So I'm just not sure what to do. Help!

·
Registered
898 Posts
By what you sad. EW that ground. I soldered mine near my tire well, near the rear right tire. Just have to be bare metal (scrape that paint off!) and use a nut and bolt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't figure out what EW means but I get I should clean the area, solder it under the bolt THEN tighten rather than just what I was doing? Also, it does have a washer type thing too, but I'm not sure what's better: if I should go under that too, or just in-between the bolt and washer but not directly on the car? Or does that not even matter?

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
You need a ring terminal, it sounds like you may have one already..

You gotta make sure it's tight, not being PULLED on and not being crushed/pinched

You also need to make sure the ring is tight on the wire

If the wire is too short, it needs to be moved...

It's kinda hard to help you(from here), being that we aren't standing there looking at the problem..

·
Registered
898 Posts
Solder it or bolt it. I just soldered it because I didn't want to create a hole in my car. You need to have it on the floor of the car, or trunk area or an area on the floor that is flat and not allot of layered metal.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Don't use existing bolts for ground points. Solder, new screws, or new bolts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I worked on it and I feel like I did a much better job this time. Its soldered in the hole under the bolt and tightened really well. Hopefully not too tight...but this should be the end of it, permanently. Thanks all!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Definitely keep an eye on it. That's one thing you definitely don't want breaking loose and shorting everywhere. Potential fire hazard, not to mention hell on your equipment. You might want to RTV over it, in case it does break, it doesn't go flopping around.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
I can't figure out why you have a ground on a door, with hinges it may not be a good ground for equipment I would wire it back to the car body. Those are good ways to attach it, also clamp or otherwise hold the wire near the connection so it can't move.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts