DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
798 Posts
The GS line is below the GB line. It's not only a what you can fit argument but a budget argument as well. If you can stretch to the GB60, can fit it, and are set on audiofrog, then GB60 it is.

· Registered
798 Posts
That isn’t how drivers work. Vocals come from the higher frequencies, not what a midbass plays(assuming 3 way).

The GB60 has more output and can take more power if that’s what you’re asking, but again it comes at a cost… your wallet. If you have budget and room for a GB60, there is 0 reason you should be looking at a GS690 that I can think of.

· Registered
477 Posts
The designer recommends the GB60 over the GS690.
Says it has lower distortion and has as much displacement potential based on cone area and xmax.

In a 2 way I'd definitely go with the GB60, but I'm not so sure for a 3 way.

The GS690 actually has a higher output potential with the right high pass filter.

The GS690 is 92 db at 2.83V/1M with 100 rms of power handling so a pair can hit 115 db without factoring in power compression.

The GB60 is 88 db at 2.83V/1M with the same 100 rms of power handling so a pair can hit 111db without factoring in power compression.

Then they both have a max of 300 watts so unless the GB60 is a good deal more efficient the GS690 has more output potential with the right highpass filter.

The distortion difference between the 2 ran purely as midbass may or may not be be audible depending on the install and the listener. Many of us can't notice distortion easily at those frequency ranges, in fact it may still sound clean but a little louder.

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The designer recommends the GB60 over the GS690.
Says it has lower distortion and has as much displacement potential based on cone area and xmax.

In a 2 way I'd definitely go with the GB60, but I'm not so sure for a 3 way.

The GS690 actually has a higher output potential with the right high pass filter.

The GS690 is 92 db at 2.83V/1M with 100 rms of power handling so a pair can hit 115 db without factoring in power compression.

The GB60 is 88 db at 2.83V/1M with the same 100 rms of power handling so a pair can hit 111db without factoring in power compression.

Then they both have a max of 300 watts so unless the GB60 is a good deal more efficient the GS690 has more output potential with the right highpass filter.

The distortion difference between the 2 ran purely as midbass may or may not be be audible depending on the install and the listener. Many of us can't notice distortion easily at those frequency ranges, in fact it may still sound clean but a little louder.
This what i wanted to hear. i like the thump of a nice 6x9 up front but also want it to be able to get loud. plus the 6x9 plays down to the 42 hz and the 6.5 only plays down to 60hz. im just trying to understand why cars come with 6x9s and a sub but Audiofrog want you to use the gb60.

· Registered
1,994 Posts
I’ve had both and am currently using the GS690’s. The GS690 has a lower impedance, so it gets more power from my current amp: Helix V Eight. The GB60’s are the superior driver here, but need a bit more power than I currently have available.

· Registered
2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali
2,348 Posts
The GB60 is the superior driver but it comes with a heathy price tag if purchasing new. The build quality alone of the GB series is a huge step up over the GS series. The gs690 are very good speakers and I would say they could do 75-80% of what the gb60’s can when tuned correctly but not every vehicle can fit a 6x9 either. All comes down to your budget and what’s easier to install, both will be happy with similar power thrown at them.

These are a good deal on a practically new pair.

· Registered
2018 Honda Accord EXL 2.0 GB 3way doors GB40/10 centre Helix M4dsp/M6 Sundown salt MMats + more
3,801 Posts
GB60 is recomended up to125w but can handle alot more in a 3 way configuration. I have no experience the 69 so I can't comment. But the GB60 is very capable, and if I'm being honest I was a lil disappointed at first cuz I had really high expectations for a 1k midbass. I thought they were gonna rip my doors apart but I quickly learned that my expectations were unreasonable. 😃 but they have really grown on me. They put out good output and have been doing well with the 200w I have available to them.

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Diagram

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Diagram

· Registered
1,994 Posts
I believe both drivers are 4 ohm
They’re listed as the same on their published specs, but the GS690 is actually closer to a 2-ohm driver. This was info from Andy the owner. I confirmed GS measure lower resistance on MM.

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’ve had both and am currently using the GS690’s. The GS690 has a lower impedance, so it gets more power from my current amp: Helix V Eight. The GB60’s are the superior driver here, but need a bit more power than I currently have available.
when you say superior you mean in quality of sound or volume or both. what's the difference between a 6x9 and 6.5 in general?

· Registered
1,994 Posts
when you say superior you mean in quality of sound or volume or both. what's the difference between a 6x9 and 6.5 in general?
By superior I’m referring to the GB60 having lower distortion and what I perceive as better overall sound quality/tonality. I’m not saying the GS690 is a bad driver, it’s also really good. However, if I had more than 75W/channel available for them, I’d use the GB60’s. With all the performance aspects aside, the GS690 is significantly cheaper and like I already mentioned is a great performer.

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
By superior I’m referring to the GB60 having lower distortion and what I perceive as better overall sound quality/tonality. I’m not saying the GS690 is a bad driver, it’s also really good. However, if I had more than 75W/channel available for them, I’d use the GB60’s. With all the performance aspects aside, the GS690 is significantly cheaper and like I already mentioned is a great performer.
Thanks everyone I'm actually going with some HIFI Italia's BL4 3way set from ANS.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts