DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a harsh sound with Tom Petty's voice. Especially in things like "refugee".

What needs to be cut, parametric, graphic eq, or is the position bad?

Cal25 tweets. Tuning by alpine Pxa700

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Re: Gues the frequency!

Load it into Audacity and use the plot spectrum option at the point where the harshness happens to see what the frequencies look like. You can play with EQ in Audacity to see how it changes the sound and figure out which frequency is the one that appears to be the problem and go from there.

Or get a measurement mic setup... if you have a laptop, it'll only run you around $100 total for the Behringer ECM8000, an XLR cable and a XLR to USB adapter that supports 48v phantom power.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Wow......I never would have thought to do that.....thanks

Can I download audacity?

Will any of the DROID apps work? Cheaper than $100

·
Registered
274 Posts

A man walks into a doctors office and says; "doc, it hurts my arm like hell when I do this" (whips his are behind his back in a swift motion).
The doc replies; "then dont do that".

To make a long story short maybe its not your system....maybe its your choice in program material.

Ha, ha!
Just kidding.....

~JH

BTW:
Friends dont let friends listen to T.P..

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey now.......lol, I love my classic rock! What's next? Is Rev Horton Heat not excellent? J/k

I listen to everything. Male voices have a harshness at the bottom. I named the tweets but I think it is at the top of my aluminum coned germaniums.

I am not sure if it is an eq fix or should I use the xover?

·
Premium Member
3,854 Posts
1.6-4khz
probably specifically in the 2-2.5khz range

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
You can probably use an RTA on Android though I think it might be tougher to do in real-time. Audacity is free: http://audacity.sf.net

For Android apps, true Audalyzer for an RTA and TrueTone for a tone generator. Don't trust the apps that try and give you an overall decibel reading of the sound... it's all BS unless maybe it's one of the paid apps and it actually has calibration.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool.....

They have a paid app for home theatre set up that looks pretty good. They have a supposedly good paid amps.

I have a headset with a mid for my laptop.....my laptop is crusty though. Its days are numbered.

·
Registered
161 Posts

A man walks into a doctors office and says; "doc, it hurts my arm like hell when I do this" (whips his are behind his back in a swift motion).
The doc replies; "then dont do that".

To make a long story short maybe its not your system....maybe its your choice in program material.

Ha, ha!
Just kidding.....

~JH

BTW:
Friends dont let friends listen to T.P..
I was going to say something to this effect but I think you just about covered it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts