DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone:-

I am currently planning my audio build and pretty much have set my minds on either FOCAL PS-165 f3 FLAX set or the Rainbow SL-C6.3 PRO Semi-Active set. I am looking forward for your valuable comments/guidance from your experience. Both sets are similarly priced from where I can source them.

Now the questions:-

If I choose the focal:-

1) I will be running it passive for now. How much power should I feed to them given that i will be using passive crossovers.

2) Later if I run it active, can I still use the passive crossovers with mid-range and tweeter connected only and run mid-bass driver on a separate amp channel? How much power they can take in that case? I have read people feeding 200 watts without problems while they are rated at 80 watts.

3) In case of 3 way active config, do i need an inline capacitor with the tweeter? or can i just leave it connected to the passive crossover for protection purposes. And again how much power have you fed to them?

Now for the rainbow:
1) Semi active set comes with a crossover for mid-range and tweeter while mid-bass driver is active. Power rating are given so i am not that much confused here. Anyone has experiences with the rainbow's sound line PRO range??? How do you like them?? Or how they compare against focal flaxes. I have heard focal flax in person but haven't came across rainbows yet. I had a soundline subwoofer though, and I loved it.

Currently will be using 80PRS and ppi p900.4 which I have laying around...

Best Regards

·
Registered
9,375 Posts
I don't have experience with those particular speakers but I've heard the Flax are pretty solid. Not a lot of people here use Rainbow, most of us run active and there are far better options not only sonically, but budget wise than Rainbow's speakers.

The passive crossover will eat up some of the power, but don't stress too much about power. An amp with anywhere from 50 watts to 200 watts per channel will be fine. People don't realize how little power they are using at normal listening levels. Having said that, it's always better to buy more power than you need, just don't obsess too much.

If you decide to use either of those sets active later you'll need to use the passive crossovers. That stereo is not designed for 4-way active, I'm not sure why so many people try to use it outside of what it was designed for. I would rather have a proper active 3-way setup with complete control than a pseudo active 4-way setup running from a stereo not intended for 4-way.

I don't use caps on tweeters, some people do for extra protection, but I've never personally seen a situation where a crossover has failed to the point of needed a cap to protect my tweeters. It can't hurt, but I don't see the need.

One final thing, power ratings for speakers are generally useless numbers, they should not be used as a deciding factor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have experience with those particular speakers but I've heard the Flax are pretty solid. Not a lot of people here use Rainbow, most of us run active and there are far better options not only sonically, but budget wise than Rainbow's speakers.

The passive crossover will eat up some of the power, but don't stress too much about power. An amp with anywhere from 50 watts to 200 watts per channel will be fine. People don't realize how little power they are using at normal listening levels. Having said that, it's always better to buy more power than you need, just don't obsess too much.

If you decide to use either of those sets active later you'll need to use the passive crossovers. That stereo is not designed for 4-way active, I'm not sure why so many people try to use it outside of what it was designed for. I would rather have a proper active 3-way setup with complete control than a pseudo active 4-way setup running from a stereo not intended for 4-way.

I don't use caps on tweeters, some people do for extra protection, but I've never personally seen a situation where a crossover has failed to the point of needed a cap to protect my tweeters. It can't hurt, but I don't see the need.

One final thing, power ratings for speakers are generally useless numbers, they should not be used as a deciding factor.
Well.. first off thanks alot for such a detailed answer. I was worried about power as i managed to blow a hertz hsk165 set. Im not so new to car audio and i definitely know what distortion sounds like. I never over pushed that set. But anyways. Ill keep in mind what u said and will be putting my p900.4 amp on it. 150watts each channel running passive for now for the focals.

Personally i was much inclined towards rainbows... and i had a friend and several forums saying they have much punchier characteristics. Also slc pro mid is a 2ohm rated at 120watts. And running mid and tweeter on a separate channel would allow more sonic control.

But this just happenned... i got a great deal on a flax 3way and a p30f. If i went the rainbow way i needed a monoblock as well for the sub. I got a friend in italy and he can buy a flax 3way and the flax sub and ship it to me all for 600usd.

I have my eyes on a helix dsp.2. So going active later would do for me for now. I can source the dsp for about 350 and can get an amp later.

Although i like speakers to be a bit punchier and that made me so confused between the two sets. Since alot of people are focal fans and i am a fan of harsh tweeters anyway. I thought to give focals a try. It will be my first focal set.

Thanks again... will keep u guys posted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts