DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone heard of using an electric guitar as an input. I keep mine in my car and practice before class starts and thought i could use some sort of 1/4" converter. I figured it was a good idea

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
1/4 phono to 3.5mm phono or RCA, run AUX in on something... should work...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Get a mini amp that runs on batteries or build one. Why you would want to do this to your car speakers is beyond me.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
dont guitars need a preamp?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What harm would it cause to use a guitar as an input. You listen to music with electric guitar dont you?

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
dont guitars need a preamp?

AUX in from whatever would be the pre-amp...

You wouldn't go running 1/4 phono to RCA straight into the amp... so the HU/processor prior to the amp would be the pre-amp..

Because guitars and pickups are so varied... you get 2 "gain" controls, one on the guitar itself and one on whatever pre-amp you are using... they learned long ago the manipulation of gain..

How was "distortion" developed... over-gain... lol...

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I bet your staging would be all wrong. Your head would implode thinking that you are really playing on your hood, when you're sitting in your seat!

·
Registered
324 Posts

You'll need something like that. Just keep in mind that a guitar, even with some pretty hot pickups, will not have the output voltage of a headunit. But, if your HU has some sort of AUX input, you'll be in business.

Or you can just say **** it and put a tube amp in your trunk. Plenty of DIY kits & info out there just for that. Solid state amps for guitars suck...

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think i have seeb that electric guitars output is between 100mv and 1v. Im going to find more info on my particular guitar

·
Banned
2,071 Posts

·
Registered
17,149 Posts

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
giving you the benefit of reverbs, distortions and everything else. Its a good plan. I threw that one out because it was 20 bux.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts