DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

As the title states, my buddy wants to run a full passive os system . He's going to be running just 1, 2 channel amp... Either a punch 45hd or an orion 225hcca (he has both, and we'll test both out to see what he likes better) My question is this:

He had an excellent idea of running the mids bandpass, he wants to run a hp @ 80hz and then buy one of these:
Parts-Express.com:800 Hz Low Pass 4 Ohm Crossover | 800 Hz Low Pass 4 Ohm Crossover dividing network filter low frequency
800 hz lp, so basically it would bandpass them from 80-800hz?

I have no idea in hell if this would work, but it seems like an excellent idea! Then we're going to try the fountek" or my neo 8's from 800 hp+

Will this work? Or are we both pissing in the wind?

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
run a 2 way... seriously.. HCCA on the bottom, and the 45 on the top... as 60 said, you won't have ANY adjustment otherwise...

Full passive systems are for people that have the time, knowledge and resources to change crossover components until they find the "sweet spot"

You guys aren't that (no offense)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys... He really wants to try it, so trial and error here we go:worried:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Having done these back in the day, I will tell you that the insertion loss of running a bandpass is appreciable.

When Rockford sold this as a progrram, they sold individual xover parts. Even they didn't sell too many premade xovers (mostly for tweeters).

It is quite a project for experimentation. Remember that ultra-small sealed boxes did not exist back in that day when these systems were commonplace, and they are inefficient. Run ported if you can.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
should work but very limited. no room for adjustment if that xo point doesnt work great.

can get an ok adjustable xover for $60

03KX2 - Kicker 2 Way Electronic Crossover
I have one of these, I used it in my second set up for the sub crossover. It's now hooked up to a modified psu in my garage, I was playing with it yesterday actually, had it for years and never a problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
especially since he stated he was brain dead in the title of the thread.
It was a figure of speech *******!!:rolleyes:

All I asked for was a simple yes or no answer. Is the point of this forum to share ideas and answers or to to ridicule someone?

Not r

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
especially since he stated he was brain dead in the title of the thread.
It was a figure of speech *******!!

I was under the impression that this forum is to share experiences, questions, and answers and NOT to ridicule someone?

Not trying to be an ass(and I'm SURE you weren't), but keep the derogatory responses to yourself next time:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts