DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running an H701 in my car off of a 7996 (obvious by the sig), and I heard some interesting info today from someone and wantes to get your guys feedback. You can razz me for nt knowing, but hey that is how you learn.

I was informed that the H701 contains an internal DAC that is subpar to that of the normal HU DAC and once plugged in the H701 DAC over rides the HU DAC thus lowering the SQ of the sound system setup.

I am not here to prove anyone right or wrong, just here to learn. Lets hear it.

Respectfully,

Jesse

P.S. Maybe MattR would know the INS and OUTS better than anyone??

·
Registered
819 Posts
I dont know right off hand what model dac chip is in the 7996 so for comparison sake, I'm not real sure. I can say the 701 uses a single 8 channel Burr Brown 24 bit dac.

If your using the digital out from the HU, you are not using the dac in the HU, that is correct.

The benefits you gain from using a digital processor are well worth the loss you may have of an inferior dac. That is, if the choice is dsp with inferior dac or no dsp with superior dac.

The alternative is, use the dac from the HU, then run analog into a processor. The audio signal will go through two more conversions, analog to digital, then dsp, then digital to analog.

You really have to pick your poison. Ideally your audio signal will stay in the digital domain from the cd until its done with all processing. Then convert to analog with the best quality dac possible.

IMO the analog stages have a greater impact on the end result than the dac does. So does the power supply and its ability supply clean quiet power to the digital and analog components.

Just some thoughts, Matt

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank yah Matt. I am currently running analog from HU to processor. Once things get dialed in the mods will have to take place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts