DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this might have already been discussed before but wanted to share just incase. I make a lot of my panels out of 1/8 backing board (found at HD for $12) it’s the board that looks like pressed cardboard with the smooth grain like texture on the front and the rough squire surfice on the back. Anyway, I hate painting it because if you just shoot it with a spray can then it comes out splotchy and if you brush or roll paint on then it’s not smooth. I’ve always used Latex when brushing and/or rolling it on. Brushing on Latex and then going back and spraying with a rattle can has given me the best results up till now.

The other day I was at Harbor Freight. Yes, I hate that store too but when you need something cheap and disposable it’s hard to beat. Anyway, they had the small 20oz spray gun on sale for $9.99. At first I thought I’d pick one up and see how it would do spraying adhesive. Figured for 10 bucks if it didn’t work oh well!

I was working on some panels that I made for a party bus this weekend and went back out to check on them last night. Didn’t like how they turned out at all. Very inconsistent paint pattern and didn’t look smooth at all. Looked over at my $9.99 spray gun and thought what the hell. Loaded it up with some black Latex and went to town.

All I can say is….Why in the HELL didn’t I buy one before. 3 coats in 30 minutes or less and I was done. Nice, smooth and consistent finish and looks so much better then I was every able to achieve with my old process plus it uses less product.

If you find yourself looking for a different option when it comes to spraying then you owe it to yourself to grab one of these, for the price, you can’t go wrong.

Gravity Feed Spray Gun - 20 Oz. HVLP

·
Registered
114 Posts
The 66222 is a much better gun, albeit a bit more expensive. I have 2 of them and it works great. Its a wonderful knockoff.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And I don't doubt that at all but for anyone that needs a cheap alternative to a rattle can and doesn't want to spend a bunch of money, the one I posted is hard to beat. Hell, catch it on sale for $10 and it's worth it even for one install.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Lots of the tools at harbor freight are very usable. Some of their products are down right the best value for the dollar in terms of reliably and quality. Hand tools and nearly every piece of their pneumatic line is great for home use.
May not be suitable for commercial uses where you require consistent spray patterns at lower pressures.

I cannot say much for their power products.

·
Registered
919 Posts
The 66222 may be a better gun, but it requires a compressor that is much more robust. The linked gun only needs 8cfm, the 66222 needs 12. Actually, both of those would be pushing it for most oil-less compressors.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm lucky to have access to industrial size compressors so cfm isn't a concern. However, I'm sure for the weekend worrier, the smaller gun would be find for small projects, I wouldn't tackle painting a car with my 5 gallon craftsman compressor regardless of the gun. :)

·
Registered
919 Posts
I just checked the specs on my craftsman 33 gallon compressor. 6.3 cfm at 40 ps, 5.1 cfm at 90psi. Not what I'd call a dinky compressor, but still doesn't have the guts to run one of those guns optimally. Now that doesn't mean it won't work, just that it will not work as well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think you would be surprised. I have a 15gal Dewalt, 5.4 SCFM at 90 PSI similar specs to yours. I've painted a bunch of stuff including base/clear the whole front end of a car. No problem at all.

Now a whole car at once would likely be an issue, but even half was easy. Could have blended the doors with it too no problem.

For the little odd parts and panels most of us would be spraying even a pancake brad nailer compressor could do the trick.

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
Just don't expect great looking welds unless you'r a bad ass welder. They are not the smoothest but can get the job done for light fab work.
I have never welded before, but I have watch some user review videos of it online. I am just welding together some square tube for the carts top to attach to. I have 2 golf carts, one with a complete top, the other has nothing. So I am just gonna use the one for a template/guide.

I might weld something for some lights or something fancy. But all that will be after several dozen test welds. I figure I am just gonna grind them down and make them look semi pretty before powder coating.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've used a cheapie HF spray gun for years with great results. I like to shoot my finishes thinned down and only about 20psi on the gun. Material (paint, lacquer etc) viscosity plays a huge part in the overall result, not just the price tag of the gun it comes out of.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts