DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 CVO Street glide and I am going to be removing the stock Boom II amps and will be installing an aftermarket amp. To save money I am looking into using the rear Boom II 5 x 7 with the new aftermarket AMP. That is the goal... I know there are better options but again looking to save money.

What I know so far:
Boom Stage II speaker is a component, bi amped driver meaning there is a 4 channel X 75 Watt amp for each set of speakers and at each speaker location there is one channel for the woofer and another channel for the mid-tweeter speaker assembly. There are two seperate molex type connetors on the back. One powers the woofer and the other powers a mid-tweeter that is mounted to the top of the woofer. When you upgrade from the stock CVO amps using amp bypass plugs the factory wire can only support one channel at each speaker location instead of two. For the sake of arguement, ... I do not want to run new wire to the rears at this point.

The Harley Boom Stage II 5 x 7 also appears to have a passive crossover on a circuit board in the speaker housing to protect the tweeter but the attached mid level speaker does not appear to any passive crossover and from what little spec info I could find so far, it appears the mid may be actively crossed over in some way by the Boom II amplifer.

So my question is how do I feed in one full pass frequency signal to operate the speaker's woofer, mid and tweeter as a composite/ coax unified speaker and not blow anything up? I will have a DSR1 installed. NVS has a video where Carlos describes making this work but he does not provide enough details to get it done and they do not return emails. He makes comment that he Crosses the speaker over using a DSP at 300 hz with a 12 db slope.

I am thinking of trying to run the mid/tweeter combo in series on one channel with the woofer which would create a single 4 ohm load coax speaker. My question is can I add another passive crossover on the positive lead running into the mid-tweeter connector to protect the mid and make the speaker work like a coax speaker?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Standard coaxial drivers have no xover on the woofer and a 1st order passive (in-line capacitor) HP for the tweeter. These two drivers are connected in parallel to the amplifier. Since they are not playing the same frequencies then their impedances don't affect each other and you look at the impedance of the woofer as it takes the most power. The 300 Hz HP xover would be a bass filter so you can push more power to woofer without distortion or bottoming out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you replacing the 4x75 watt amp for the rear speakers with a 4 channel or 2ch amp?
I will be running a single 900-1000 watt 4 channel aftermarket amp to power six speaker locations. Channel 1 , two 6.5 for upper fairing, channel 2 , two lower fairing speakers 6.5 , and the rears on channel 3 and 4. No plans for a sub.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Standard coaxial drivers have no xover on the woofer and a 1st order passive (in-line capacitor) HP for the tweeter. These two drivers are connected in parallel to the amplifier. Since they are not playing the same frequencies then their impedances don't affect each other and you look at the impedance of the woofer as it takes the most power. The 300 Hz HP xover would be a bass filter so you can push more power to woofer without distortion or bottoming out.
Harley does nothing in a standard way. This speaker does not have a single cap passive frequency blocker like you would expect, it has a small circuit board attached to the base of the woofer. That may contain a small cap, but it is hard to tell without pulling the thing out and destroying the speaker. I want to see if I can get the entire thing playing off one input instead of being bi-amped.

The impedance of the woofer is two ohm and the mid -tweeter assembly is also 2 ohm.

So if I run them in parallel would the impedance not drop in half?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Harley does nothing in a standard way. This speaker does not have a single cap passive frequency blocker like you would expect, it has a small circuit board attached to the base of the woofer. That may contain a small cap, but it is hard to tell without pulling the thing out and destroying the speaker. I want to see if I can get the entire thing playing off one input instead of being bi-amped.

The impedance of the woofer is two ohm and the mid -tweeter assembly is also 2 ohm.

So if I run them in parallel would the impedance not drop in half?
I re read you post and answered my own question

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So what I am trying to figure out is can I modify the exisiting harness so both plugs on the back of the speaker are plugged in. The two plugs before modifaction are feed by two 75 watt channels of a 4 channel OEM saddlebag amp. So if I modify the harness so both molex plugs run off one channel of the new aftermraket amp can I feed both speakers the correct amount of power without blowing any of the three individual speakers. Here are the published Harley specs on the speaker:

Audio Configuration: 3-way full range, Bi-amplified
Audio Size: Woofer - 5"x7", Mid-Range - 1.5", Tweeter - 1"
Impedance: 2-ohms
Water Resistant: Yes
Crossover: 4th Order Active Linkwitz-Riley @ 3000Hz
Sensitivity: 91dB +/- 2dB

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Yes - assuming that both molex connectors are direct to the corresponding voice coil - the danger is if the tweeter doesn't have an inline capacitor to block bass you'll fry the tweeter. It won't bother the woofer at all. I've seen those speakers before but the ones that were in my hand were triaxial and had 2 connectors, one for the woofer and one for the midrange and tweeter which fed a xover board. It's not an unusual configuration and there's many far worse in car audio. You should see the GM Bose amplified speakers that have an amp mounted to the back of each speaker... and the 2 ohm impedance is also become very common since the advent of Hi Qms suspension components and tighter tolerances.

To test yours I would hook it up at low power and run sweeps to the tweeter and woofer individually and see if there's a passive xover.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts