DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing the Harman system in a '17 Outback and saw some interesting things. I don't Harman are idiots and would appreciate if anyone has any technical explanations.

1. Mid-range (500-8k?), just under right and left front windshield corners. Appears to be corner loading the driver, and they are seemingly trying to port the output directly up based on the plastic waveguide(?) mounted on the speaker (see pic). The grille has a short tube extending downward, to the plastic waveguide thing. The speaker grill only has holes in the middle of the tube (i.e., directly above the mid). Is this to manage early reflections?

2. The center mid has a soft dome and a complex plastic piece/guide on top (see other pic). This has the same grille setup (small tube, grille only perforated inside the tube). Again, seems like they are trying to ensure the majority of the sound goes straight up to the windshield and nullify off axis, non-reflected sound.

Thanks

Attachments

· Registered
1,771 Posts
hmmm .. harman and Doug Winker and interesting wave guides/grilles??

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for that. It's interesting that the two-dimensional waveguides improve off axis response to that degree. It seems like the Subaru setup is maximizing both reflected and off-axis energy and is trying to keep the wave contained until the top of the grille. Does that seem accurate?
I would obviously like to avoid taking a step backwards. The OEM system images well (good height and solid center (due to center channel)) but I don't think there is any response above 8k and width could be better.

· Registered
1,771 Posts
Thank you for that. It's interesting that the two-dimensional waveguides improve off axis response to that degree. It seems like the Subaru setup is maximizing both reflected and off-axis energy and is trying to keep the wave contained until the top of the grille. Does that seem accurate?
I would obviously like to avoid taking a step backwards. The OEM system images well (good height and solid center (due to center channel)) but I don't think there is any response above 8k and width could be better.
seems like you might want to start with taking a measurement to see what is lacking and then add onto that. or, go nuts and get a full system with dsp control. if the stock locations give you some decent imaging as it is, then an upgrade with new speakers and a DSP amp should give you some really goood results, add a sub and you are golden. i think Helix MATCH makes a plug and play setup for subaru. might be worth looking for what they have

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already went off in the nuts direction. I used to compete in IASCA 20+ years ago (early Brax adopter). Helix V Eight for DSP.
I am trying to do everything with zero change to the interior as I now have small kids and a wife who will either break or not like esoteric car audio stuff cluttering up the the interior. Only visible changes will be tweeters and a hopefully OEM-looking mount for a Helix Conductor knob.
I am intrigued by the waveguides/screens and will tinker with those.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.