DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a Dayton RSS315HO-44 12" DVC sub in my car for a couple of months now. It was in about .8 cu ft sealed and was running off of a JL Audio JX1000/1.

The other day it quit working while playing and after pulling it from the enclosure I found that the voice coil had detached from the back of the cone. The coil is still intact and will actually still move if I play music through it.

The sub does have a lot of power behind it but hasn't been abused, and I have never blown a sub before. I was a bit shocked to see this one had died. Has anyone else here blown one? I think Parts Express will probably warranty it but I'll be hesitant to crank it up after this to avoid doing the same thing again.

Jason

·
Registered
898 Posts
It isn't blown. Just sauder it on and your good to go.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
It isn't blown. Just sauder it on and your good to go.
you mean solder?

has the VC psychically detached where it is not connected or did the tinsel wires simply break off?

·
Registered
515 Posts
This sounds more like the coil and cone came apart and that the wires are still good since he says it still moves with music.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This sounds more like the coil and cone came apart and that the wires are still good since he says it still moves with music.
Yep, the voice coil former has completely detached from the back of the cone. And Parts Express wants me to send it to them for inspection. I haven't got a quote on shipping yet but it won't be cheap to send this thing from Canada back to Parts Express, apparently shipping is not covered under warranty.

So basically I have to spend money to ship it to Parts Express just to see if they will cover it under warranty.

Jason

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
SublimeZ's problem was that only half of the spider was glued into position on the first sub.

EDIT - These are the photos he linked me to:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts