DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'm just curious if anyone on this website has tried to take their horns and make molds of them to make their own out of fiberglass? I understand that fiberglass horns can resonate but that is something that sound deadening can fix.

I am also curious if anyone has built their own horns for car audio and how they worked out. It seems like something that must have been done before considering how many people have done it in home audio.

Does anyone possibly have a damaged horn body they would want to sell to me at a super cheap price? say like $20?

·
Registered
502 Posts
the rumor was that PJ Autosounds built their horns with a 2x4 nailed to the end of a broom.

If you have some time and some ambition, you could do a good amount of studying up on the subject and build your own out of a mold you made. May work better with your vehicle. I've seen Mark Eldridge horns that he built for use in his 4 runner---they look nothing like what you would buy off the shelf.

Where do you live? I have a pair of ID Minis I'd be willing to loan out to someone who was close enough that I knew I would get them back---and I felt had the fiberglass skills to not mess up my horns.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm living in Boca raton, FL right now. I have done a lot of fiberglassing when I worked for Tweeter as an installer but I did not make many molds. I bet you could make a two part mold with expanding foam or plaster and not have to worry about destroying the horn. Before I would undertake that task myself I would have to brush up on mold making techniques and possibly see the horn in hand to know if it was doable. If I could find a damaged one it would possibly be easier because I could cut it in half, cover it and put some mold release on to just pull a copy of the interior.

I guess my other option would be to just get the dimensions and make my own. I see the hardest part being getting the throat right.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts