DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to do the big three on my car and I was hoping for some insight from those more experienced than me. The challenge I have is that I don't know where the alt->battery wire runs or how long it is.

My car is an 2007 audi a4 with the 2.0T FWD

Has anyone done this before?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I haven't, but a good first step would be to go on an Audi forum with people more knowledgeable on your specific make and model. Esp since it's an Audi.

Who knows though, you might get lucky here.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Check out vwvortex.com, they have lots of Vw and Audi owners. Not a lot of stereo info on there, but you might have more luck in looking for your answer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check out vwvortex.com, they have lots of Vw and Audi owners. Not a lot of stereo info on there, but you might have more luck in looking for your answer.
So, is what you are telling me, is that there aren't a lot of vw/audi owners here, and there isn't a lot of car audio stuff there. So if I am to find my answer I have to stitch together all the info I receive from both sites?

·
Registered
19,478 Posts
all you have to do is find the alternator.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
all you have to do is find the alternator.
Thank you, I've done that, but the wire goes behind the engine and I can't figure out where it goes. Then I tried following the wire coming from the battery and it just goes down the side of the engine bay and gets hidden by heat shielding

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can't you just piggy back the Oem wire with your 1/0 or 4awg wire? Seems easier.

·
Registered
19,478 Posts
Thank you, I've done that, but the wire goes behind the engine and I can't figure out where it goes. Then I tried following the wire coming from the battery and it just goes down the side of the engine bay and gets hidden by heat shielding
theres only 1 place for it to go... the positive of the battery. you dont NEED to have an upgraded wire take the same path as the oem one. just as long as its out of the way of moving parts and away from anything that gets really hot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
theres only 1 place for it to go... the positive of the battery. you dont NEED to have an upgraded wire take the same path as the oem one. just as long as its out of the way of moving parts and away from anything that gets really hot.
Ohhhh I hadn't considered that? If I do that, should I try to pull the old wire out if I can, or just leave it there?

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
And this is why AudiWorld or Audizine, or even Vortex (ew) would have been better. No, it doesn't go straight to the battery. It goes to a distribution panel/fusebox. Seeing as that is a MONSTER pain in the ass to deal with because of the limited room, I would go directly to the battery. The small run to the distro panel I would upgrade if you can, but I wouldn't stress. The main ground is by the battery and a very short run. The rest is normal car stuff.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
So, is what you are telling me, is that there aren't a lot of vw/audi owners here, and there isn't a lot of car audio stuff there. So if I am to find my answer I have to stitch together all the info I receive from both sites?
I have an Audi. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And this is why AudiWorld or Audizine, or even Vortex (ew) would have been better. No, it doesn't go straight to the battery. It goes to a distribution panel/fusebox. Seeing as that is a MONSTER pain in the ass to deal with because of the limited room, I would go directly to the battery. The small run to the distro panel I would upgrade if you can, but I wouldn't stress. The main ground is by the battery and a very short run. The rest is normal car stuff.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
In this case there are two separate wires, one that goes from the battery to alt, and another wire from the battery to the fusebox

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think the battery is in the trunk, and the path from the alternator to the trunk is not an easy one to send a 0 gauge wire, on my B8 audi the alternator is attached directly to the block, can't even see any wires coming from it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts