DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the planning stage of my new setup

I recently purchased a 2013 Hyundai Sonata and it supports 6.5's all the way around and i believe 3.5's or 4's in the dash.

setup will be receiving 14.4 volts (upgraded alt, battery, with 0 gauge back.)

I am always open to suggestions but looking to obtain more information of opinions from those whom have own or had experience with any of these products so that i can make a better informed decision.

I am currently considering the following:

I currently own the following head units and have not decided which i will use if either:
Pioneer DEH-80PRS
Alpine INE‑Z928HD

Amp(s) Budget- $460-500 For Both mono and 4 channel or 5 channel
Considering:
Focal Solid 1 and 4- $380
Alpine PDX-V9- $430
JBL MS 5001 and 1004-$460

Front Stage: $200-$500 (cheaper may be better)
Morel Tempo 6- $230
Hertz HSK 165- $450
DLS UP6i- $350
JL C650- $350
CDT HD62PRO-$350
CDT ES-62i***- $450 (These are leading, issue below)

Subwoofer: 10"-12" Up to $600 (including box)
JBL MKII 12- $280
H.O. JL W6- $400
H.O. JL W7- $600
Alpine Type X- $250
RE Sxx Pro or Mx- 300

Would love to get my hands on some Alpine SPX-17 REF or PRO but can not locate for the life of me.

May not run a rear stage. no plan as of now

I am currently looking for comparable or better items in the price range. more expensive does not mean better to me. looking for the best value in a quality speaker, don't want to pay twice the price for marginal gain.

*** The CDT ES-62i look amazing and i am considering ordering them direct from CDT but i do not have a way of listening to them. the only issue i have is that i will be using compressed sources via and ipod for the majority of my music and i have heard that these speakers are accurate to a fault and will recreate every bit of compression delivering a less than ideal result. has anyone use these or the es series and had this experience?

The amplifiers i must admit i am a bit lost on and have no clue what i could get for the money. I am intrigued by the focal and alpine but not sure which one would give me the best performance. have heard that the focals have heat issues? I live in Arizona so that could be exacerbated by the summer heat here. i do not intend to bridge it though and i am not sure if that is part of the issue.

·
Registered
732 Posts
*** The CDT ES-62i look amazing and i am considering ordering them direct from CDT but i do not have a way of listening to them. the only issue i have is that i will be using compressed sources via and ipod for the majority of my music and i have heard that these speakers are accurate to a fault and will recreate every bit of compression delivering a less than ideal result. has anyone use these or the es series and had this experience?

The amplifiers i must admit i am a bit lost on and have no clue what i could get for the money. I am intrigued by the focal and alpine but not sure which one would give me the best performance. have heard that the focals have heat issues? I live in Arizona so that could be exacerbated by the summer heat here. i do not intend to bridge it though and i am not sure if that is part of the issue.
I am using a set of the es-6 mids and they can kick like a mule...bridged to 150rms active off my 80prs. Not really sure about the issue with compressed audio, but (as with the HD-M6 golds I had) so far I have found both drivers to be fairly bass heavy and have to cross them 100hz or higher when things get loud or they look like they're about to come flying out the door. They do sound great and hit hard...but may sacrifice a little on midrange compared to other higher eff drivers...

I do have a set of Ground Zero Uranium mids coming soon so I'm interested in how they compare. IMHO...if Hertz is on your list check these

Hertz HSK165 Hi Energy 6 5" Component Speakers | eBay

OR...I may have a set of almost new ES-6 mids for sale soon :D Also, I have two Alpine amps (MRX-F30, and PDX-5) and have never had anything to complain about. I think Alpine amps have a very solid rep as being one of the highest quality units on the market and have higher than rated, very clean output...a little pricey, but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
I kind of think you are wasting time and money on the electrical upgrade. No need for any of the 3 things you are planning to do for the equipment you are planning to use for your system

Keep the factory alternator, and run a single 4 gauge back. Then if you plan on running the system with the engine off for extended periods of time, just buy a charger to connect to the factory battery during those times. Although of the 3 , i think i could see the need for a new battery as my 2-13 elantra GT can go dead after only about 15 minutes of tuning if i have had the doors open for any length of time during installations.

PS, i think there is a set of the alpines you are looking for in the classifieds right now.

Also here is a nice amp as well.
JL Audio XD700/5 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am using a set of the es-6 mids and they can kick like a mule...bridged to 150rms active off my 80prs. Not really sure about the issue with compressed audio, but (as with the HD-M6 golds I had) so far I have found both drivers to be fairly bass heavy and have to cross them 100hz or higher when things get loud or they look like they're about to come flying out the door. They do sound great and hit hard...but may sacrifice a little on midrange compared to other higher eff drivers...

I do have a set of Ground Zero Uranium mids coming soon so I'm interested in how they compare. IMHO...if Hertz is on your list check these

Hertz HSK165 Hi Energy 6 5" Component Speakers | eBay

OR...I may have a set of almost new ES-6 mids for sale soon :D Also, I have two Alpine amps (MRX-F30, and PDX-5) and have never had anything to complain about. I think Alpine amps have a very solid rep as being one of the highest quality units on the market and have higher than rated, very clean output...a little pricey, but you get what you pay for.
I have always been hesitant to purchase speakers off of ebay due to the fact that their are soo many counterfeit claims especially with hertz, morel, and focal. plus i dont know if they abused the driver and Id rather pay the extra for the piece of mind. after what you said i may just pull the trigger on the cdt es-62i and maybe run the alpine pdx-v9? Do you source compressed audio files or are you using less compressed files like original cd? I try my best to utilize clean sources or if nothing else 320kbps but sometimes it is hard to find and i just dont want to experience any distortion or noise in my music. Thank you for all of the information, I will take a look at the classifieds.

Also in response to the alternator, I did not do the upgrades the vehicle is coming to me that way. I removed the door panels and it is also professionally deadned all the way around with factory panels re-installed. it looks really nice. the previous owner just took all of their aftermarket stuff out and put the stock stuff back in. it appears to even have double layer of deadner on the floor. sounds like i am driving in a vacuum right now. would love to have a descent system to compliment the work.

anyone else have any suggestions as far as the other items?

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have always been hesitant to purchase speakers off of ebay due to the fact that their are soo many counterfeit claims especially with hertz, morel, and focal.
I can appreciate that...better safe than sorry at the end of the day. I have huge coupe doors (deadend etc) but that may be why I find the es-6's slightly "boomy" but in your smaller, already deadend doors I think they could be excellent.

Like you, I also use 99.9% ipod using highest bit rate avail on itunes. Can't say I've had issues with any distortion...I've tried using the "lossless" feature but it takes forever and (for me) can't say it made any substantial improvement over just a standard CD rip.

·
Registered
31 Posts
While I'm not running the 6.5" components, I've been running HCK130 coax's for 7 years and I absolutely love them. They're in a Jeep and have definitely survived the elements and abuse of a rough vehicle. Midbass is surprising for a 5.25" speaker and the highs are super crisp and clear, but definitely not too bright either. I've heard people say the newer HSK's are brighter and almost too in-your-face, but I haven't personally heard the newer ones. Again I realize I'm running a 5.25" coax and you're interested in the 6.5" separates, but I thought I would give my experience with them. They've been through several amps over the years (Memphis, Audison, Digital Audio, super old school Orion, and JL) and they've always sounded killer. The low response was actually crazy, crazy good for a 5.25 when I had the Audison (amp failed unfortunately), even the shop I purchased them from was surprised.
I've also heard the Morel Tempo 6c's in a showroom recently too. They sounded really, really good. I've actually been considering them for my soundbar in my Jeep.

I second the xd700/5 JL that miniSQ posted a link too. This is my current amplifier and I absolutely love it. I had the pleasure of hearing one before purchasing mine and I haven't been disappointed at all. Good, clean power to all 5 channels and i love that it's compact size provides a clean, stealthy install :cool:
I almost pulled the trigger on a V9, but I had read some reviews about them having issues in the past, although they were far and few between the raving reviews I saw too. But since I already knew what to expect from the JL and it was the same price, I let it be my safety net and I'm happy I did :)

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.