DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, my first thread. I'm wondering if this hair-brained scheme of mine might actually work... (sorry if I'm not the first to suggest it, haven't seen it mentioned before though)

Basically, I plug my laptop (via quality usb sound card) straight in to my amp via rca's, and play the cleansweeps calibration cd. I record what is played in the drivers seat (using calibrated mic), burn it to cd, stick the cd in the deck, and then calibrate it to that. Should flatten the in-car response of the speakers and deck in one sweep..

If that doesn't work (too distorted input signal), I can simply sit in the front seat with software rta / calibrated mic, match a software eq to the car response, and process the calibration wav to that eq. Stick in deck, hopefully flattens in-car response.

Basically trying to turn my cheap second hand cleansweep in to an audison minus the features I don't need. Any thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
It might work. But it might also not turn out so well because of the ambient noise in a car that will be included in your recording. Ambient noise in a car is primarily lower frequency information so it might suck it all out (EQ it out) when you do your final calibration with the Cleansweep.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - I think the second way sounds safer then. May try the first anyway though as I can always check what it's done via a software rta.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I'd just use the clean sweep as it was intended.

One of the downfalls of the cleanseep (In my opinion) is that it doesn't offer any tuning capability

If you don't have anything at all, get yourself at least a 5 band parametric or something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fair enough. And I agree - what I'm proposing is a poor solution for any serious tweaker. Although as I prefer to just set once and leave it be... this should be fine for me. Especially as I'll be making full use of 2*30 band equalizers already in my signal path. Will hopefully be reporting back with before/after graphs after this weekend.

·
Registered
985 Posts
What you can do is borrow a 1/3 octave eq (or any eq for that matter), place it after the Cleansweep temporarily... tune the car with it until you're happy.

Then take a CD player with the CS CD on track 1, connect it to the EQ and then connect the EQ to your laptop. The trick is to REVERSE the setting on the EQ (if you cut a band when you tuned the car by 3dB, you will now boost it by 3dB)... then burn the reverse-equalized tune onto a CD using your laptop.

Go back to the car, and recalibrate the Cleansweep with the equalized track and you should have the tuning you did with the borrowed EQ.

Sound like a plan?

Manville Smith
JL Audio, Inc.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
What you can do is borrow a 1/3 octave eq (or any eq for that matter), place it after the Cleansweep temporarily... tune the car with it until you're happy.

Then take a CD player with the CS CD on track 1, connect it to the EQ and then connect the EQ to your laptop. The trick is to REVERSE the setting on the EQ (if you cut a band when you tuned the car by 3dB, you will now boost it by 3dB)... then burn the reverse-equalized tune onto a CD using your laptop.

Go back to the car, and recalibrate the Cleansweep with the equalized track and you should have the tuning you did with the borrowed EQ.

Sound like a plan?

Manville Smith
JL Audio, Inc.
Wish I'd have thought of that. I'm going to try it in my buddy's car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Sound like a plan?

Manville Smith
JL Audio, Inc.
Sounds like a great plan, and I love that once it's done all equipment can be removed. Will definitely be doing this.

There's just one caveat I've thought of though - if you're keeping the cleansweep in the loop whilst tuning it, you'll need to have it in eq defeat mode. Otherwise when you recalibrate it with the eq'd track, it'll undo the headunits eq a second time (bringing it back, but upside down).

Thanks Manville.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Sounds like a great plan, and I love that once it's done all equipment can be removed. Will definitely be doing this.

There's just one caveat I've thought of though - if you're keeping the cleansweep in the loop whilst tuning it, you'll need to have it in eq defeat mode. Otherwise when you recalibrate it with the eq'd track, it'll undo the headunits eq a second time (bringing it back, but upside down).

Thanks Manville.
No, you can do it just like I described. The only difference from flat we need to inject into the calibration signal is the manual equalization. The assumption is that the baseline cal. signal is flat and the CS output is flat to begin with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts